Leaking back of Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have a leak at the front end of this pipe at the bottom. Its on/off as when it leaks but when it does its only a few droplets in most cases.

I am just wondering whats the best course of action with this and if I am best at getting someone to come out and fix it for me?

Many thanks,
20230417_072246.jpg

Sponsored Links
Replace the connector, the rubber may have perished.

Sponsored Links
To undo it you have to move the toilet forward which involves disconnecting the cistern etc. Then you will see the size of the old toilet connector. You could just try twisting the existing connector in situ but it may make it worst. Does the pipe going out slope away ? - check with a spirit level.

How straight forward is that to do?
5 min job if the screws are in good nick and the cistern feed is on a flexi. But then again, if not, ...

What is the part I would need?

Should the pipe be at more of an angle down into the wall?
Used to be as the pan outlets had more of an angle. Nowadays a very slight fall is normal and ok.

To undo it you have to move the toilet forward which involves disconnecting the cistern etc. Then you will see the size of the old toilet connector. You could just try twisting the existing connector in situ but it may make it worst. Does the pipe going out slope away ? - check with a spirit level.
Was unable to check the spirit level as its bigger then the gap but yeah looks like its connecting pipe has a small slope

5 min job if the screws are in good nick and the cistern feed is on a flexi. But then again, if not, ...

Yeah the screws are rusted up and the cistern pipe isnt a flexi.

Attachments

• 20230417_191345.jpg
    20230417_191345.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 16817554751541777930912572348153.jpg
    16817554751541777930912572348153.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 31
Are you absolutely sure that the leak is from there? I was at my daughter's yesterday looking at an identical situation but the leak was actually one of the bolt-holes in the close-coupled toilet just dripping onto the shroud of the toilet connector. I would definitely try and eliminate anotther possibility before attempting to remove a fixed inlet.

The big clue is that the water is "fresh" and clear as opposed to cloudy.

Regards

Tet

PS If you do go ahead with the replacement, I'd consider replacing the fixed connection with a looped flexi connector. This will make the final toilet fitting a whole lot easier. Also would recommend cleaning the painted pipe before doing anything else to ensure that you can get a good connection. You'll likely have to slice off some of the pipe achieve this simply

Are you absolutely sure that the leak is from there? I was at my daughter's yesterday looking at an identical situation but the leak was actually one of the bolt-holes in the close-coupled toilet just dripping onto the shroud of the toilet connector. I would definitely try and eliminate anotther possibility before attempting to remove a fixed inlet.

The big clue is that the water is "fresh" and clear as opposed to cloudy.

Regards

Tet

PS If you do go ahead with the replacement, I'd consider replacing the fixed connection with a looped flexi connector. This will make the final toilet fitting a whole lot easier. Also would recommend cleaning the painted pipe before doing anything else to ensure that you can get a good connection. You'll likely have to slice off some of the pipe achieve this simply
Hi, yeah I saw other post say about it may not be from there like you say but I am 100% sure it is there, all other parts of the toilet are dry and when wiping the drip away I watched it form again from the seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back