Leaking bay window roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister is having trouble with water coming through the bedroom ceiling when it rains, so I called round today to have a look.

The existing roof on the bay window is lead, and its shot to pieces. I've tried to patch the worst of it with a bit of silicone.

I'm after some advice as to what sort of roof would be best to replace it with.

Ideally I'd like something I can put on for her, and something which doesn't cost the earth, as she's not long since moved, and money is a bit short.

I was thinking my options are

1. Replace the existing lead with a new piece of code 5 lead sheet.
2. Replace the lead with a torch down roofing felt.
3. Replace the lead with a GRP roof.

I have some experience of the first two, I'm open to suggestions, but looking for a cost effective soloution if possible.

Here's the existing roof: It is 2500 x 660 mm

0d9d15d65f246846e8427b243a0f7d37.jpg

110996118b86cc60900718c516c141a9.jpg

c25956d0ad151764a7acc52803c00c18.jpg

Sponsored Links
Torch on felt I your cheapest option and should last a good few years if done well.

If you choose lead it should be done in 3 bays,

I've been looking a lot into GRP, and it looks like really good stuff, and not particularly difficult to install. Does anyone have any experience with it, and how easy or hard it is?

My local suppliers do a cure-it GRP system, and it comes in at under £250 for everything required.

I thought I might re-roof my shed at home with it as a test run as it doesn't matter too much if that goes a bit wrong.

Sponsored Links
I presume there was a survey done before your sister moved in. Is the any comeback there?

The survey was utterly useless and just full of the usual caveats admonising the surveyor of any responsibility.

It's not going to cost mega money to sort, and at least it'll be one less thing to worry about.

Pitching the roof seems like an awful lot of work for little benifit, and it'll be the only house on the street like that...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back