Leaking boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Worcester 28LE it is almost 10 years old. I have always had a maintaince contract and it was serviced every year.

In December I changed the maintaince to a local firm because they covered plumbing emergencies for only a few £ more than I was paying.
In January the boiler started leaking, I was a bit embarrassed but I called them, The man spent 3 hours and said think thats it sorted. Two days later I was sure it was leaking again and they came back out (different plumber) He spent 4 hours and ended up saying well I cannot stop it but it is only dripping occasionally I will need to order some parts, 3 weeks later I phoned and said if you need to replace a larger more expensive part I am happy to pay for any parts you need, I was told I don't know what we need but I will get back to you, it might be a few days.
I have not heard since. The boiler at present is leaking about 1/2 litre a day, until I turned the heating down to virtually off it was 3/4 to 1 litre a day we top it up every week sometimes x2 a week. I would call them back again but I think they will cancel the contract and I will have no one because no one else will take it on now. It is only dripping from one spot it is a joint or valve of some kind. I don't know what it is called I only know it is near the front. I cannot afford to change the boiler just now. What am I asking is, in view of its age should they be able to get parts for it, or are am I being unreasonable.
Any suggestions gratefully recieved

Thank you

Sandra

Sponsored Links
parts should be available for this boiler, can find anything on the internet, and they should deff not cancel your contract not if they value their reputation, how bad would it look taking a customer on pledging to maintain thier boiler and falling at the 1st hurdle

I dont understand how a situation like this can arise.

Would you say that they were employing less experienced people?

I would expect most parts to be available but from what you say they dont seem to know whats leaking.

If you could post a picture here there I am sure we could tell you.

Unfortunately since they have agreed to provide the cover then I am afraid thats what they will have to do. You must complain to them that they are not providing the service you have signed up to do.

Tony

I have a Worcester 28LE
What is the gc number for this? Never heard of this model.

it is almost 10 years old. I have always had a maintaince contract and it was serviced every year.
Are you sure it was actually serviced? Most people that have a contract only get a safety inspection, in which case your boiler has not had a real service for years.

Sponsored Links
28LE is just a 28cdi.

Hi
It is 28 cdi on the booklet I have, on the front of the boiler is 28LE.

I am not qualified to say how good the service was, on at least 3 occasions over the years the system was drained for various reasons, ie changing a radiator, the other years I am not sure but they spent arround 40 mins and seemed to be doing something.
I have not had any problems with it till jan.... except that I had to top it up 6 weeks after the last service and that was unusual, once the engineers had serviced it in August I didn't normally have to do anything to it.
Of course it's Murphy's law that something would go wrong less than 2 months after I changed contracters. Maintainence wise I had been with the gas board for 20 years and hydro for 3years. They are a local firm but med sized they do a lot of work arround here and have been in business for 20-25 years and they have a good reputation.
I am not good with photos but if I my son has time I will get him to try to post some pics.
At least I know it is reasonable to ask it to be repaired the phrase compression joint and valve was in there somewhere, I am not stupid but it is very obvious I do not have the foggiest about boilers and he could have been saying things that sounded good. The young chap worked hard but said "it is getting old now I don't know if we can get parts" I just don't think 10 years is overly old for a boiler especially when I have not had problems with it before.
Thank you to everyone who replied I will check the internet for parts and when I phone if they say they cannot get them I will offer to buy them in if they can tell me what I need.

reading between the lines it sounds like they can't be arsed. sadly parts are not at all scarce for these, if they were it would be one less pain in the arse boiler to stumble onto once a month. :)

... the other years I am not sure but they spent arround 40 mins and seemed to be doing something.
They could have been putting up a show, but it sounds like the boiler was actually serviced.

The young chap worked hard but said "it is getting old now I don't know if we can get parts"
Total tosh; every part for this boiler is readily available. With a bit of tlc, you may get another decade out of this one. It sounds like they are just trying to line you up for a totally unnecessary boiler swap; not unusual.

See if you recognise anything on this page.
http://www.boiler-breakdown-repair-london.co.uk/boiler-and-central-heating-cons.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back