Leaking bottle trap, can you buy just the seal, just the bottom section, or temp repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a small leak around my bottle trap seal - think it's because the seal is a bit twisted and knackered.

Having a quick look now I can only see things like this for sale:

https://www.toolstation.com/bottle-trap/p58469

Is it possible to just buy the bottom section of that? Or can I just buy the seal? Or are the seals different for different manufacturers (I've not idea what make my trap is but could add a photo if that would help)?

Can't see the need in replacing the whole section and sending plastic to landfill unnecessarily. But also, the kitchen is being completely redone soon and all of the plumbing will be replaced at the point. So on that note, a temporary fix would also be suitable and if any kind of tape, sealant, etc would do the job for a few months then I'm all ears. It doesn't need to be pretty :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I do have a some PTFE. It's old... Does that matter? And it is a thin width, but does it all tend to come in the same size?

Photo coming up.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
PTFE is PTFE, it will do the job.

Excellent. Well that sound like the ideal solution then. I wasn't sure it can be used on plastic fittings where the thread doesn't form the seal, but that was purely based on 5 minutes of googling.

Any tips on how I should apply it please?

Thanks so much for the help.

IMG_20191004_123142863.jpg

IMG_20191004_123154226.jpg

The trap you linked to is less than £3 and you just want the bottom part ? :LOL:

It also gets terrible reviews... The ones with decent reviews cost more.

I also live in a rural location so it would mean travel to collect.

But what's more the point to me is the environmental cost and that if it can be fixed until the whole thing is replaced, then why not...?

remove the bottom section, thoroughly clean the threads with your wife's toothbrush. wind with ptfe tape . replace as tight as you can, then man up and give one extra quarter turn. finally, always ignore the advice of professional plumbers and electricians, they live to make simple tasks appear intimidatingly complex.

Then when you break something or it starts leaking from somewhere else, come back and ask again... :rolleyes:

Try the PTFE trick, wind a number of turns round the O ring and see if that will seal. If not, you'll have to bit the bullet and replace the trap, the McAlpine costs slightly more, but will be of better quality. https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-adjustable-inlet-tubular-p-trap-white-40mm/46577 You need a 40mm trap for a sink, the 32mm in your links is too small.

Great help. Thanks guys. The PTFE trick seems to have done the job, although to be honest I'm not sure if it was the tape that did it or the thorough clean with the missus's toothbrush. It is electric...

Anyhow, I'll keep an eye on it now and see if the fix lasts. Thanks High for the advice should I need to replace it. I had noticed that there were 32 and 40mm versions but just picked any old link for the photo. But good to know for sure what I need.

I had another look at the seal / o ring and it isn't in the best condition so I think that's why it is leaking. Can you not buy these separately then? Or is it more the case that they're all different depending on manufacturer?

Thanks Newboy. So would the O seal in that pack be universal and work with all bottle traps regardless of brand?

And on another note - and just to satisfy my curiosity - why would the PTFE fix only be temporary? Is it that the tape degrades quite quickly or some other reason?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back