sink trap fail - leak - design problem? fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is a bathstore cylindrical tall bottle trap & 400mm extension chr btr0402C

The rubber seal around the neck no longer works because the clips that originally attach to the metal have corroded up. This kit was purchased originally in 2007.

Is there anything I can do to modify this so that it can form a proper seal again?
I would like to avoid having to buy a whole new trap and extension just for the extension.
Any advice on this one ?

Pictures to follow:

IMG_20200817_102022036.jpg

rev2.jpg

IMG_20200817_102016952.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not really, anything that could be attempted would just be a fudge. It looks like the flange on the top of the extension, that the seal is normally sandwiched between it and the waste, has rusted out.

To be honest though, getting 13 years out of a chromed steel trap isn't too bad and as such it doesn't really owe you anything. BTW it does come with a 15year warranty, if it's the same crosswater one ;)

I'd just bite the bullet and put a shiny new trap and extension in.

Thanks Madrab, that's a fair comment I suppose. I do find it a little irksome that will mean replacing the whole trap just because the flange/clips (flange I think?) has failed on the extension.
I would be willing to purchase a new extension as that's the part that's actually failed, so will contact bathstore, but in the event they won't sell the extension on it's own is it likely I will be able to find an extension in a plumbers merchants or online? My searches so far only seem to come up with the whole kits.
Sorry if I come across as tighter than a ducks butt, but I try to save money where I can and avoid spending money unnecessarily.
Also, is it worth contacting bathstore about the warranty as the purchase was made in 2007? meaning there are another 2 years left on the warranty if it is a 15 year warranty.

Sorry if I come across as tighter than a ducks butt

Not at all @HawkEye244, I am of the same school of thought whereby if something can be repaired or re-purposed then why fuel China's (far too big IMO) society by throwing it away and buying another cheaply made item.

Unfortunately I think these traps will be made and supplied as a complete unit rather than being able to buy the components separately but you could always check. Take the actual pipe dimensions and go browsing, you never know...

The warranty claim would all depend on whether the one you bought actually had a 15yr guarantee at the time of purchase and whether you can prove it

Sponsored Links
Well I saw a complete bottle trap kit on screwfix and decided to get on with it:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bottle-trap-chrome-plated-32mm/72487
But the extension is much longer than I need.
Is it supposed to be cut down to smaller size or is this not proper use?
If I do cut this down I'm assuming it will take off the chrome layer at the end and speed up corrosion.. ]
I can't use the existing plastic pipe because it's too big, argh !
Waiting to hear back from bathstore and crosswater in the meantime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back