Leaking brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a leak somewhere in the front top window and I think the source is some flat brickwork. As in attached pictures, there is a row of bricks at the top. Behind this is a slope roof which is properly sealed. There is no leak on the ceiling underneath but only leaks at the top of the window frame.

Can anyone confirm and if so, what is the best way to resolve before the bad weather starts?

Thanks.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 618115393.jpg
    iOS Image - 618115393.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 132
  • iOS Image - 3670531430.jpg
    iOS Image - 3670531430.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
I would suggest getting up there with a ladder and checking the seal along the top of the window on the exterior, if its silicone it might have perished, if its mortar it might have cracked/fallen out.

Yeah ive checked the window surrounds from the outside and it looks good hence why im thinking the water is penetrating the bricks at the top and seeping in.

I doubt any water is seeping in from the top - you've got a row of tiles under the top row of bricks which is there to stop any water seeping downwards.

Most likely a break in a seal somewhere. Do you have pictures from the inside so that we can see the extent of the damp and where it is?

Sponsored Links
why not take some fresh properly focused detail pics of the outside at the top of the window.
an why not get on the roof behind the brick parapet an show whats happenin up there - show the back an top of the parpet an any parapet flashin an the roof itself?

where the parapet meets the slopin roof theres a lead saddle - thats a very tricky junction?

Hope the pics make sense. The row of soldiers is at the top with lead floor behind it. There is no leak in the ceiling underneath the lead. Looks like some black coating is flaking away from the brickwork on the inside.

the whole frame is set to far forward, it shold be set back, best practice, 75mm.

just above the lintel theres a long crack in what - mortar or metal i cant see it clearly.

the plain tiled roof discharges onto the lead flats which in turn discharge into a lead lined gutter.
bitumen repairs have been attempted to the gutter and the parapet wall above also seems to have been coated with bitumen.
there might be splits in the lead gutter.that gutter needs two lengths of lead overlappin by 150mm.

its hard to see the cover flashing above the gutter but you'd be best off gettin a roofer to have a look at that leadwork.

looks like a parapet wall issue.

is it a cavity wall below the parapet?

what is the window lintel -it looks like a steel rather than a catnic style lintel, in which case there is no cavity tray detail or weep holes.

if its a solid wall then it could be coming in through above the window tracking across or through a leak on the parapet to lead flashing side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back