Leaking element in hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have a problem with the header tank overflow constantly dripping and it has been diagnosed that there is a leak into the ch system via the element in the hot water cylinder and that the cylinder has to be replaced. Unfortunately the airing cupboard was built round the cylinder making it very difficult to exchange. So much so that one guy could only suggest fitting a new bathroom or a combi. I remember when fitting a microbore system many years ago there was an element that screwed into the immersion heater boss and I wondered if they were still available and if so would it be feasible to fit one and blank off the old element? The alternative is a bucket for the overflow which is about all I can afford!!

Sponsored Links
Good idea saves you a lot of upheavel. The common name for the thing you after is an imerssion blade just remember and cap the existing coil connections as they come out of the cylinder.. On the blade connections use a couple of tee`s on them and have air releases on top.

namsag said:
just remember and cap the existing coil connections as they come out of the cylinder.
Given that access will be needed to both the primary connections and to the drain point, I don't see how this is going to be any easier than changing a cylinder.

Given that the cylinder is going to fail one day, and have to be drained and replaced, possibly in a hurry, surely it makes sense to put right now the thing that's so wrong, i.e. building a cupboard around a cylinder.

FFS - what are some people thinking? :confused:

Very impressed with the speed of your replies and many thanks for them. The real problem lies in the layout of the bathroom done by a previous owner. He lowered the ceiling and put in a sunken corner bath, moved the toilet and cylinder and built the cupboard around them then and put up some chipboard to seperate the toilet. My wife hates it but it would be a major spend to put it all to rights and I thought a immersion blade would be a suitable stopgap. Can they still be purchased fairly easily?

Sponsored Links
Yorkshire used to do a wind-in coil called a Sidewinder, but no longer, I think.

I remember cutting your own coil but being SO young I cannae remember when we got it from chris

cos I am so young

;)

whats an immersion blade then?

Salamander used to do one called a" Hot spring".
Dont know if still availlable though.

corgiman said:
I remember cutting your own coil but being SO young I cannae remember when we got it from chris

cos I am so young

;)

whats an immersion blade then?

I vaguwelly :LOL: remember some 10mm type coil that fitted in place of the immersion :?:
And of course the sidewinder.
Thats when plumbers were plumbers and ships were made of wood :LOL:

From my 1980 OBC catalogue Salamander used to do a "Hot Tube Cylinder conversion" unit.

After an extensive Google search could not find one though. :cry:

Been looking myself and can`t find one to put a link, has been about 7/8 years since i fitted one..Probably called different things throughout the country.

Corgi basically what they where was a just over 2 feet copper rod with a flow and return connection on top which was used to convert existing direct cylinders into indirect cylinder when fitting heating, by removing immersion heater or plug and screwing this in place of it. It saved changing the cylinder also they would be placed into RoLyat tanks to do the same..

Giblets OBC there is a name from the past,now part of plumb centre

Are you thinking of something like This

88e4_1.JPG

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Well done "fumb" remembered fitting something similar years ago but could not remember what it was called. will do the trick i suppose if the guy is a bit strapped for cash.Providing he can remove immersion.

One of them used to be called Micraversion or similar and I think that they are still available at about £96 but maybe not under that name. It was mentioned on a forum recently.

However!!!

It would be much better to do the job properly and cut out the old cylinder and fit a new slimmer one. You can use an angle grinder or tin snips.

If its already a slim one then they will make a special to fit your needs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back