Leaking front door canopy shared with neighbour... tricky situation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Please see attached photo - timber front door canopy with GRP roof (and lead flashing) shared with neighbour

Unfortunately the roof is in poor condition and leaks - flat roof paint to both sides has not resolved the issue

I think really the whole thing needs to be re-roofed but I don't want to hassle my neighbour with that, especially after he has just put the flat roof paint on at my request. However I'm fed up with the paintwork being ruined and oily drips on my head.

Do you think vents would solve the problem? Any other creative ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 453
Sponsored Links
https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...MIuJn5puij2gIVyLftCh3bxwf6EAQYASABEgIBhfD_BwE

Try this stuff.

why do you think installing vents would rectify a leak?

The idea with vents is as follows... if I can never get to the bottom exactly of what’s leaking and neighbour doesn’t agree to a proper re-roofing of it, then some ventilation would allow the water to dry out? Whereas previously it just pooled in there until the weight of the water forces drops out (and also the weight of the water pulled the canopy away from the door). A bit bodgetastic I suppose but might do for a few years until he fancies a re-roof

That way I can make good the decorations, at the minute I have a few cuts in the underside which are allowing water to escape

Another idea is - any chance of some sort of vertical dpc type thing? Something through the timber just to my side of the party boundary line to stop damp coming through

Thanks for replying, further help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
water doesn't tend to come out below where it comes in - unless there is a massive hole. It tracks along surfaces then escapes.
Your neighbour's side could be full of water that escapes via the underside of your half.
I would have thought that the cost of a guy just turning up and working on your half would cover ( no pun intended) doing the whole thing.
If they won't split the bill, bite the bullet and get them to agree to you paying for both halves.

water doesn't tend to come out below where it comes in - unless there is a massive hole. It tracks along surfaces then escapes.
Your neighbour's side could be full of water that escapes via the underside of your half.
I would have thought that the cost of a guy just turning up and working on your half would cover ( no pun intended) doing the whole thing.
If they won't split the bill, bite the bullet and get them to agree to you paying for both halves.

Hi, yes you're absolutely right, there is in fact a small slope (about 5mm across the width of the whole canopy) so it tends to run down to my side.

This is why I'm suggesting is it possible to insert some sort of waterproof membrane vertically? To separate my neighbour's two compartments from my two compartments. Like a damp-proof course but vertically

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back