Front door timber canopie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone need some information and how the best way to build a front door canopie. as I had a flat roof porch which had rotted away so I have pulled that down and want to build a wooden canopies.

I have had the gallows made to my desgin but not sure on the best way of building the rest off it.

What else do I need?

I want to look something like below

f650ceb3.jpg

Many thanks

Whitty
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Fix the gallows at desired height.

Fix a sheet of ply at desired size to the gallows.

Fix a 4" x 2" along the wall on top of the ply. First screw it to the ply then fix it to the wall.

Design a pattern rafter and fix them to the front edge of the ply and rest them on the wall.

Offer a 4" x 2" plate up behind the rafters until it touches the rafters at the top then fix this to the wall.

Space the rafters accordingly then fix them to the top plate.

Slide in a purlin along the base of the rafters i.e. one that is deep enough so that it is set back far enough to be resting wholly on the gallows.

Fix the rafters to the purlin.

Fix a suitable depth fascia to the rafter ends

Fix some cradling to the side gables.

Felt batten and tile the roof.

Fix the lead flashing.

Fix hollow soffit to the ply underside and the gables.

Fix plastic fascia to the timber fascia.

Fix plastic 30mm x 30mm angle to the gable horizontal corners.

Fix purpose corners to the fascia ends.

Fix gutter.

There are loads more tips like setting out roof tiles on the floor before fixing the gallows so that you have no tile cuts etc etc. I've just built one on my own house and will finish painting the gallows in the morning.

I've built several canopies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back