cantilevered canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to built a cantilevered canopy over an area at the side of my house (just under 1m wide and about 3 or 4m long), to replace the existing rotten canopy.
(I can’t just support the canopy on the boundary fence parallel to the house, because the fence is in poor condition and the neighbouring school to which it belongs is likely to take years to sort it out. :rolleyes: )

I haven’t planned this yet, but I’d imagine building the frame out of timber and then just using polycarbonate sheets for the roof.

Question is, this is a slightly windy spot, and obviously I’d need to be sure a cantilevered canopy would be strong enough – anyone had any experience of anything similar on this kind of scale?

Any other advice as to the best way of going about this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would something like this do as it doesn't use any support underneath & it's very strong :!:
pic-3.jpg

For more info here

I have done one a few years ago and they are not cheap but may solve your problem. They will also supply only if you want to fit it, well they did to me then.

I was hoping to do something a bit cheaper than that - area is just for storage at the side of the house, so can't really be seen.
Thanks anyway

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK - I think I've worked out how I can do this myself - but given my complete lack of experience with this kind of thing, I'd appreciate some advice!

The new canopy will extend out about 1.2m (just over the top of the wonky fence), and be about 4.5m long (all the way to the chimney breast in the photo below). I'm planning to use 5x5cm timber (as in the current canopy) and ordinary corrugated PVC sheets. I'm thinking about making up the triangular sections first, then attaching them to the wall and putting horizontal sections front and back to anchor the whole thing (won't be attached to the fence or have front supports) Is there a better/stronger way? Anything else I should be thinking about?

The main thing that concerns me is wind - this area will be gated at one end but open at the other, and it's a fairly exposed site (school field to the side) - should I be worried about the wind lifting the whole thing off?

Finally, is a 12* pitch okay (roughly what's there now) or would a higher pitch be stronger)?

Cheers

roof-plan-1.jpg

IanJ said:
I was hoping to do something a bit cheaper than that - area is just for storage at the side of the house, so can't really be seen.
Thanks anyway

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK - I think I've worked out how I can do this myself - but given my complete lack of experience with this kind of thing, I'd appreciate some advice!

The new canopy will extend out about 1.2m (just over the top of the wonky fence), and be about 4.5m long (all the way to the chimney breast in the photo below). I'm planning to use 5x5cm timber (as in the current canopy) and ordinary corrugated PVC sheets. I'm thinking about making up the triangular sections first, then attaching them to the wall and putting horizontal sections front and back to anchor the whole thing (won't be attached to the fence or have front supports) Is there a better/stronger way? Anything else I should be thinking about?

The main thing that concerns me is wind - this area will be gated at one end but open at the other, and it's a fairly exposed site (school field to the side) - should I be worried about the wind lifting the whole thing off?

Finally, is a 12* pitch okay (roughly what's there now) or would a higher pitch be stronger)?

Cheers.....................Fix it to the fence posts :idea:

edited to correct quote

Sponsored Links
Nige F - see original post - can't fix it to the fence posts, because the fence (not mine) isn't stable enough - which is why current roof is knackered (apart from the fact it wasn't built very well in the first place).

What about using something like 6"x3" joist on top of your gate post and the same at the other end :idea:

Could also put a gutter on the joists as well to stop the rain running inside.

ive done something similar down our side passage. We are on top of the hill, about a mile from the sea. Its in the southwesterly prevailing wind and i made mine out of 4 x 2 with corrugated sheeting on. Never had a problem, just used plenty of fixings on the sheeting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back