Leaking Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently had a block shed built and it’s leaking between the concrete base and first course of block work.

I tried to put a cement fillet on the outside but it seems to have made it worse and more water seems to be getting through the block which i find strange as the fillet should run water away.

Any idea on how i could fix this as all my stuff is getting damp and it’s causing mould to grow on the internal walls.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

This is some images of the shed currently, nothing is stopping it running down but it’s leaking through the bottom course into the shed and pooling, there is no signs of it running down the walls.

The bottom of the door is also filling up with water and overflowing into the shed, not sure how it’s getting in there either.

This is some images of the shed currently, nothing is stopping it running down but it’s leaking through the bottom course into the shed and pooling, there is no signs of it running down the walls.

The bottom of the door is also filling up with water and overflowing into the shed, not sure how it’s getting in there either.
The fact is, if you have bare blocks, rain runs down the face and they absorb rain and this then travels down until it hits a barrier and then moves sideways

So no amount of sealing the bottom joint will stop this.

It is dealt with by cladding the walls, designing rain to run off and detailing the DPC.

Sponsored Links
This is why cavity walls exist.

Wrap in a breather member, 50mm battens and timber clad.

Else, make the eave overhang bigger and put perimeter drainage/gravel (rain will be bouncing off the external hardstanding and saturating the lower block courses).

This is why cavity walls exist.

Wrap in a breather member, 50mm battens and timber clad.

Else, make the eave overhang bigger and put perimeter drainage/gravel (rain will be bouncing off the external hardstanding and saturating the lower block courses).

What about rendering the walls?

Do you mean wrap the outside, with something like roofing felt, then batten it all up and finish with cladding?

It will stop once it has been rendered.

Is this because the render will make the walls waterproof and will stop any water sucking through? Suppose i could always tanking slurry the inside as well and put the cement fillet across the bottom internally?

Was the shed built off the slab? Render down to dpc and install a bellcast bead.

Was the shed built off the slab? Render down to dpc and install a bellcast bead.

Yeah it’s build off a concrete slab, doesn’t have a dpc as the bottom block is sat straight onto the slab, will just render to the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back