leaking heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new combi boiler installed a month ago. I have to top the water up a few times since then. The plumber is going to try a sealant, but if it doesn't work, we will have to find the leak. My question is this: do I expect the people who fitted the boiler to look for the leak free of charge as it presumably a result of them installing it, or will I have to pay, on the grounds that it might be an increase in water flow that has produced the leak?

Sponsored Links
Secco
They fitted the boiler. They had to take out the hot and cold water tanks and may have doen some other water piping. I'm not sure.

Sponsored Links
if its the original rads/pipework pretty much down to you.
unless on their new pipework.

Seco

Thanks. Is there a correct sequence they should go in - an order of priorities, e.g. boiler area first? downstairs first? upstairs? And how much mess will there be? Do they have devices for detecting it or a mehtod of closing bits of the system down to work it out? I'd just like to know what to expect as reasonable.

well this depends, basically if the system was converted to a combi from a open vented pumped system then, prior to commencing the work the plumber should advise that the system is going to be under pressure, and that older types of rad valves may leak due to this increase in pressure, also wek spots on pipework and soldered joints have also been known to leak after the system has been upgraded.

a typical 12 month gaurantee on workmanship is the norm, if it was my job and i had advised you, the of course i would charge, if i hadnt told you of the possible leaks,. then i think ur right to ask for the work to be done for nothing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back