Leaking hot tap - isolation valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bit of a DIY newbie here. I've got a leaking hot tap in my downstairs toilet. My partners dad was able to take a look yesterday and said that the rubber washer had gone and to get a sealant kit to fix it, I'm going to try and give this a go over the next few days when I have chance. In the meantime I was wondering if there was any way to temporarily stop the leak. Looking online I can see mention of isolation valves, I don't think that we have these on our pipes but I am not 100% sure. Would really appreciate it if anyone has any advice at all. I've attached some pictures of the pipe work underneath the sink.

Both pipes coming in from the left come together up along the wall through the ceiling. The pipe at the top goes to the hot tap and the pipe at the bottom goes to a T shaped pipe where it splits and goes to the cold tap and down along the wall into the toilet cistern.

Thanks,
Ell

Attachments

• 20161017_183831.jpg
    20161017_183831.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 20161017_183809_001.jpg
    20161017_183809_001.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 325
Sponsored Links
No sign of any isolator a I'm afraid, but they sure would be useful!
A plumber would probably freeze the pipe before cutting and installing, otherwise the hot water would need to be drained down - which isn't as drastic as it sounds.
Do you have a combi boiler by any chance?
Any paint needs to be removed before any isolator is fitted.
John :)

Thanks for the reply John - Yeah we've got a combi boiler. So I suppose as there is no isolation valve nothing can really be done temporarily to stop the leak apart from turning the main water supply off! Guess I'll have to put up with it for a day or to before having a go at trying to replace this washer!

Where is it leaking from?? if it's just from the top then don't worry and let it just run into the sink until repaired, or is it just dripping?

To isolate the taps then:
  1. Switch off the boiler,
  2. Turn off the cold water mains supply to house at mains stop tap, this should isolate both hot and cold
  3. Open the hot tap to release any pressure, same with the cold, until they go dry
  4. Taps are now safe to work on
Confirm the taps are a screw down type that has a washer at the bottom of the valve and that can be replaced, pennies from the local supplier. If it's 1/4 turn then its a ceramic valve and the whole valve needs replaced. You will probably be safer getting a tap reviver kit and replace both.

Not sure what you partners father is going on about a sealing kit?? A seal kit maybe but they're rarely applicable to taps.

Sponsored Links
Hey Madrab, Thanks for the advice. So at the moment it is just leaking out of the tap. I've attached a pic of the sink itself, the taps do turn fully so I assume it's just the rubber washer. This is what my partners dad said has perished I believe, I may have misheard him when he said sealing kit, maybe it was seal kit? Would I just be able to buy a generic pack of rubber washers from a DIY shop? Just wondering what I'd need to get. Hope it's easy enough to replace!

Thanks,
Ell

Attachments

• 20161018_122859.jpg
    20161018_122859.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 200
Suitable rubber washers are available from B&Q, or you could even fit a 'tap reviver' if you want......this is essentially a new head that fits into the old tap body.
Either way......your job (should you choose to accept it :D) is to prevent the tap body from turning whilst you undo the tap insert - which is just below the plastic top.
Your washers will be 1/2" size, likely enough.
John :)

have a go at getting things stripped down first. Pop the top of the tap off (indice), screw underneath, remove that, pull the head off. Under that your find the valve, pair of grips, jaws in a wet face cloth, grab the body tight, loosen valve with an adjustable spanner. You may have to pull hard. Once the valves are out then see what washers are on the bottom of them. Likely 1/2" as @Burnerman has mentioned.

Thanks for all your help guys. Managed to replace the washer today, had a bit of a faff trying to get the right one had to go to plumbing station to get the right washer. Replacing it wasn't too bad though :) no more leak! Thanks again all, Ell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back