Leaking HW Cylinder

Thanks for the tip on the cylinders dilalio. I do like the look of the Joule, but can't seem to find vented tanks

Well I have had vented from them before but also can't seem to find a link to them! Can find direct vented but not indirect :confused:

Sponsored Links
As much as possible by visual examination to see if the gaskets/seals are compromised/cut in anyway.

Wow. You should become a heating engineer and I'll give up :rolleyes:.

Meanwhile... In the real world... You prime a Component with water at the working pressure and only then do you prove/disprove it's watertight :idea:

And a cylinder is one fu¢ker of a component!

The clues in the caveat "as much as possible"

OP says "The gaskets/seals on both penetrations were off-centre"
that should of started the alarm bells ringing!
But I accept that the OP would probably have wanted that cylinder fitted anyway.

Sponsored Links
But I accept that the OP would probably have wanted that cylinder fitted anyway.

You are correct. No hot water since Xmas Eve, a plumber on-site and a freshly delivered new cylinder there from the only supplier that could do before 10am next day? Get real. I'm not going to send it back because a gasket is off-center, am I? Gasket may be fine, just the hole cut off-center. A poorly cut gasket may seal just as well as a perfectly round one. Or it may be off-center but still seal perfectly. In my view, it's more of an indicator of lower quality. It's not a reason to assume a tank is faulty.

To the other point that the plumber may have damaged it: I did think of that, but don't believe it's the case. Why? Mainly because he assumed immediately that it was his joint that was leaking and set about re-making it. If he'd disturbed the joint, or had another issue fitting the tank, he would have probably looked at that seal first and then we would have had the conversation.

The fact is that RM cylinders are about half the price of other more "premium" types. You gets what you pays for. The joules look nice, and seem to me to be well-designed units. I'll be watching it like a hawk until I decide on a replacement, and won't be getting the ceiling done until after that too.

Well I have had vented from them before but also can't seem to find a link to them! Can find direct vented but not indirect :confused:

I note that the advice from Worcester Bosch on their unvented tanks is that they can be used on vented system; the only advice is that the expansion vessel should not be fitted to the inlet control group. So I guess perhaps the Joule cylinders would be the same, and I note that the specification details the "unvented kit components" which would suggest they are supplied as a kit along with the unvented tank. I don't see why you couldn't simply omit the expansion tank, and vent the tank back to the header as usual. It would be operating at a lower pressure certainly, as it's designed for 5 bar operating.

Here's the link to the indirect, unvented:
https://www.jouleuk.co.uk/download/100l-slimline-indirect/index.php?wpdmdl=5396&ind=1542898558533

I'll check further though before parting with cash!

I take your point that you bought what was in stock and available, though I have never had a problem with a faulty RM cylinder, except for one rejected at the supplier (not Screwfix) because it had a big ding in the side. Ironically, Screwfix seem to have better packaging specifications than others do (better meaning more wasted packaging!) so IMO tend to have less damage returns than others.

I'm not familiar with Joule cylinders, so just spoke to them on the phone. According to their sales department their copper cylinders are made in the UK, their stainless ones in Abroadland. That rules them out for me, I prefer the jobs to be in this country.

Their SS ones are made in Ireland IIRC. The Copper ones are made oop North. Good cylinders at a good price, but I think they are growing too quickly for their capacity. The organisation and communications are slipping a little.

The other one that drives me insane is the shoebox on a ruddy great pallet delivery :mad:
Having worked in a parcel depot and seen how things get chucked around, if i had a fragile item that needed to get there on time the best insurance is strapping it to a pallet!

Having worked in a parcel depot and seen how things get chucked around, if i had a fragile item that needed to get there on time the best insurance is strapping it to a pallet!

That explains the quality of some of your plumbing advise ;) (sorry too easy a jibe :D).

But anyway ... Pallets don't always help:

20181128_102113.jpg

£700 of cylinder squashing whatever is behind the other door.

That explains the quality of some of your plumbing advise ;) (sorry too easy a jibe :D).

But anyway ... Pallets don't always help:
That's the exception that proves the rule! Maybe a hundred pallets would do it strap it in the middle of the pile.
Anyway i thought everyo teen-ager had a paper round, factory job, warehouse job etc, it's a good way to realise everyone's just human trying to get on to stop yourself thinking you're better than other people(y)

I was running my own paper round from 13, working on a local farm at 15, co-running a convenience store from 17, then behind bars (of the drinking kind) from 18 through to the end of university with a couple of stints as a doorman for the local nightclub next to the rugby club while studying.

Longest I've been out of work from the age of 13 is two weeks, and 5 days of that was by choice.

Nowt like hard work to make you appreciate the things you have and how to provide for you and yours.

Aiming to be retired and out of this country by 50. Place is going to hell in a handcart anyway.

Last edited:
exactly nothing wrong with working in these kind of jobs as long as it pays the bills

All this palava. :( Assess fitting a decent flow combi and do away with a cylinder and tank in the loft. Less to go wrong and space liberated.

Longest I've been out of work from the age of 13 is two weeks, and 5 days of that was by choice.
Dannyboy you jest of course. There has been days and days when you have done nothing as you were on here morning, noon and night.
Aiming to be retired and out of this country by 50. Place is going to hell in a handcart anyway.
I can't stand that witch May either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back