Reasonably new hot water cylinder leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new hot water cylinder fitted approximately 7-8 years ago, its an indirect 210ltr Grade 3 'greenlag' from Newark Copper Cylinder Co.
It appears to have sprung a leak underneath the base as there is a puddle of water around the base, I've checked all the joints but they appear dry.
Is this normal for a cylinder of this age? We don't live in a particularly hard water area so its seems a bit odd.
Can they be repaired?
I'm thinking I'll probably do a straight swap rather than upgrade to mains pressure as the HW pressure is pretty good due to the HW tank being in the basement and tanks in the loft.

Sponsored Links
Its quite common for thermal stores to fail after 9-11 years.

A Gauge 3 cylinder is quite thick copper and I would not expect it to start leaking after eight years, but....

I doubt you would get anywhere with the manufacturer! They will say their cylinders should last 15 years but they then guarantee then for only 12 months! Even after three years they will make excuses but might give you 30% off a new one ( which gives them more than a merchant does! )

It can probably be removed and silver soldered or brazed but who would want to do that when it might leak again somewhere else the next week!

Replacement time!

Tony

Would it make any difference if I got a grade 2 tank rather than grade 3?

I haven't measured the head from the tank to the cylinder but its probably not far off 10m or so with the tank in the loft and the cylinder three floors down in the basement.
Not sure what the cost difference is tho.

I just checked the height between the bottom of the HW cylinder and the level of the water in the tank in the loft and its pretty much bang on 10m

Sponsored Links
I spoke to Newark the manufacturer in the end and they said the base is now rated at Grade 2 on a standard Grade 3 cylinder for the Part L requirements so recommended that since the head height wasn't above 10m.
Having got it home it turns out all the fitting points are all in different positions to the old one so it isn't going to be a straight swap after all :evil:

that'll give you something to do then

ok-wink.gif

I spoke to Newark the manufacturer in the end and they said the base is now rated at Grade 2 on a standard Grade 3 cylinder for the Part L requirements so recommended that since the head height wasn't above 10m.
:evil:

Thats odd!

You spoke to the manufacturer of your failed cylinder and either did not mention that your had failed or you did not bother to tell us?

What did they have to say about the premature failure?

Why go back to the manufacturer of something you were not happy with?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back