Leaking HW Cylinder

I checked with Joule directly and they confirmed their cylinders can be used on vented systems as is, you simply don't need to order or fit the vent kit equipment and vent back to the header as usual.

Sponsored Links
All this palava. :( Assess fitting a decent flow combi and do away with a cylinder and tank in the loft. Less to go wrong and space liberated.

Thing is I am actually thinking if I use this opportunity to change the system. It's a new boiler, so I'm not changing to a combi and TBH the combi systems I've had - even the 30kW jobs - didn't fill a bath as quick as a tanked system, and with 4 of us showering every morning, the tank does the job.

I am wondering though whether to take the plunge and go for an unvented system with the tank in the utility room instead, or even a megaflow system, but lads at work have all had expensive repairs on theirs.

We are going to have to get the kitchen ceiling done anyway, and the pipework runs above that ceiling, so would be a good opportunity to make a change.

Sponsored Links
Thing is I am actually thinking if I use this opportunity to change the system. It's a new boiler, so I'm not changing to a combi and TBH the combi systems I've had - even the 30kW jobs - didn't fill a bath as quick as a tanked system, and with 4 of us showering every morning, the tank does the job.
30kW is not that big these day. Look at bigger kW models. They really do perform. How often are four people showering at the same time?

Four showers at 15 litres per min running for 10 minutes is 600 litres of storage. That is one big and expensive cylinder. Combis never run out of hot water.

Last edited:
As the cylinder is not leaking now, it's highly probable that the plumber "fabricated" a leak to "generate" some extra work/income - and they are know for doing this sort of thing. And then did the job properly the 2nd time round. Epitomizes the trust worthiness of many trades and not just pl(b)umbing. :D

Seems to me, that this leak could of been fixed for £2 (max.) by replacing the internals of that drain cock. These are known to leak when the rubber seal goes.

Fabricated or not it could have been sorted by a turn or 2 of hemp and some paste under the backnut,:whistle:

Well, no end of experts who weren't there. Firstly the entire penetration around the drain cock was in a state, never mind rotten insulation from there all the way to the ground. Even if it had sealed down, that fix would have been a cheap bodge, which doesn't happen in my house. And yes, he could have been a cowboy generating two hours' extra work, but I doubt it - personal judgement. As I said, the quality of his work is excellent and based on his order book, he's no need at all. There are cowboys out there, but believing they are in the majority is either just cynical, bitterness, or the result of poor judgement in selection of tradesmen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back