Leaking Isolation (?) Valve into the WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

I have noticed what I've called an isolation valve which feeds the WC refil unit leaks. I thought it was something simple like a replacement seal however on putting a new unit it I've noticed the problem seems to be a bit more annoying! If you look at the attached image, in particular where the screwdriver is pointing, this is the part of the valve where the water seeps through. Although it looks like a solid body I've noticed it seems to be threaded, I came across this by accident when tightening the bolt above the screwdriver position. I can't really see how to tighten that area. Can you advise on the following;
- What do I need to do to stop the leak?
- What parts will I need and what should I ask for? I went to my local B&Q but had little success.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance, Kevin. :?:

Sponsored Links
Looks like a telescopic one. I've not come-across these before so i'm not sure if it can be repaired.

If it was me i'd drain the cistern and lift the body of the syphon up an inch so you can get some better fittings in. Personally I wouldn't bother with an isolation valve (so long as you can turn off the stop-cock easy enough) the gland on it will only leak at somepoint!

I think the easiest way would be to use a flexible tap connector (15mm / 1/2") any plumbers merchant or DIY shop will sell them

If you haven't got much space you might have to use solid fixings like a 15mm by 1/2" tap connector, with a 15mm compression socket and some pipe.

When changing the valve, you will have an opportunity to consider changing the wallpaper at the same time, should that be your desire.

my bet is that it is not telescopic, but just a bog standard (excuse the pun) isolation valve tap connector, but it is leaking from where it joins the ballvalve. I notice that the thread is sealed with PTFE. This is incorrect as the seal is made between the fitting and the wc valve by a fibre washer. No PTFE should be used as the water should never get that far, and even if it did PTFE would not stop it leaking.

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't bother with an isolation valve (so long as you can turn off the stop-cock easy enough) the gland on it will only leak at somepoint!
I do apologise, but do the water regulationss not stipulate the need for an isolating valve to a cistern? :confused:

Personally I wouldn't bother with an isolation valve (so long as you can turn off the stop-cock easy enough) the gland on it will only leak at somepoint!
I do apologise, but do the water regulationss not stipulate the need for an isolating valve to a cistern? :confused:

good practice to put an iso in.

agree with m1key00 someone's poss also butchered the thread on the fill valve so wrapped it in ptfe.

When changing the valve, you will have an opportunity to consider changing the wallpaper at the same time, should that be your desire.

Ha! Not my choice, the wife covers such matters.

Reference the tape, I can remove that easily enough and I've put in a new fibre washer. It just doesn't seem to be leaking from that point. If you look at the section below the nut which joins the ball valve it 'looks' like a sold piece of pipe into the main centre section of the valve, however when tightening the nut i noticed this section turning in unison with the nut and actually revealing a thread above the centre section of the valve? If that makes sense. I think there is something 'heath robinson' about this valve and whoever built the house had to furnish something to cover a gap between the ball valve and water pipe bigger than they planned for.

As ever thanks for the helpful comments (wallpaper excluded lol), Ill pop down to my local plumbers shop and get some bits!

regards, Kevin.

just get a new service valve.
apart from the leak that ones had it's day.

Oh yea you're probably right about that, I don't know alot about the water regs. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your guidance, I purchased a replacement service valve today and will fit it on Friday.

regards, Kevin.

Replacement service valve fitted earlier today, all seemed to go well just leaving it a few days to check for leaks. Noticed that the old valve, pictured in the first post, where the screwdriver head is pointing is actually a threaded joint and it was that that was leaking. The replacement unit is a solid body at that part so hopefuklly no more failures in that area.

regards, Kevin.

I've had same twice. Sh!te parts wouldn't use again

Managed to fix by separating the two bits and adding tape before tightening

Had a nightmare for 4 hours as shops were shut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back