Leaking kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So I'm currently abroad and my place is renated out on Airbnb. A guest messaged me last night to say there was a small water escape in the kitchen.

I suspect one of the fittings has come undone.

I have two quesitons.
I know it's hard to tell, but looking at the photo do you suspect (like me) the leak is from the join circled ?
Is this simply a case of hand tightening the joint or should I get a plumber is to take a look and maybe apply glue etc ?

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 10.59.42.png

Sponsored Links
Looks like it may have slipped. The joint will need to be dismantled to ensure that the sealing ring is correctly located on the spigot. Then do it up nice and tight by hand.

Maybe I'm being an idiot but how does a threaded part like that come undone? (Maybe just the pressure of the water).
I'll get my friendly neigbour to take a look and save me £150 a plumber will no doubt charge me :D

Sponsored Links
Those (Ikea?) fittings are notoriously bad, that adjustable height pipe can just slip or can be knocked out of the pipe quite easily when they get old or misaligned (it's either the pic or the outflow pipework is very well fitted and is rising). Ideally it needs the nut loosened, clean the yellow sealing ring and pipe/fitting and then it's pushed back into the fitting and retightened.

Maybe I'm being an idiot but how does a threaded part like that come undone? (Maybe just the pressure of the water).
I'll get my friendly neigbour to take a look and save me £150 a plumber will no doubt charge me :D

It looks as if it may have rotated at the elbow on the left, where it passes out through the back panel. Once it's refixed, maybe add some support or a bracket close to the trap, to prevent that happening?

Rotating Solvent weld? Unless, of course, there is a loose compression coupler in behind the cabinet, that it's all attached to.

The solvent weld, might have been allowed to set, with the horizontal under downwards tension, or the pipe might have been given a knock - it doesn't take much, to push a compression joint off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back