Leaking lawnmower and mowing a lawn

Theoretically the needle valve in the carburettor should keep the fuel at bay but if it doesn’t - due to wear or whatever - the tap does it for you.
No need to renew the fuel pipe unless it is perished, you’ll need to cut a 15mm length out of the pipe if it’s prone to kinking.
No one is really concerned about a small leak of fuel but as some folks keep their machines close to a boiler its a good idea to fit one.....makes carb maintenance easier too!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Theoretically the needle valve in the carburettor should keep the fuel at bay but if it doesn’t - due to wear or whatever - the tap does it for you.
No need to renew the fuel pipe unless it is perished, you’ll need to cut a 15mm length out of the pipe if it’s prone to kinking.
No one is really concerned about a small leak of fuel but as some folks keep their machines close to a boiler its a good idea to fit one.....makes carb maintenance easier too!

Ok so just took off air filter and a bit messy so sprayed compressed air on it to clean it up. Is my circled thing in photo carburetor?

When I started it (after 2 weeks non use) no leakage and ran fine. Does this still mean I should fit a tap on fuel line ( I guess near fuel tank end)? Then when leaks again, switch off tap until mower stops working?
16063939696641845037551333174548.jpg
16063940626503885492874902835478.jpg
16063942580996864671754919666220.jpg

Yes, the blue circled item is indeed the carburettor - any problems with it usually necessitate completely dismantling the thing.
Anyway, if there aren't any leaks then no need for a fuel tap really - not many engines actually have one although they are good to have.
You could do with a new air filter - is this the one?
https://www.gardenhirespares.co.uk/7864-mountfield-rsc100-rsct100-air-filter.html

Yes, the blue circled item is indeed the carburettor - any problems with it usually necessitate completely dismantling the thing.
Anyway, if there aren't any leaks then no need for a fuel tap really - not many engines actually have one although they are good to have.
You could do with a new air filter - is this the one?
https://www.gardenhirespares.co.uk/7864-mountfield-rsc100-rsct100-air-filter.html

I ordered the service pack from that place u gave the link to so- oil, spark plug, air filter (paper one)and bought an inline tap with clips too £27. Put it near fuel tank I guess. So how does the tap work exactly? I assumed after awhile it would leak, not right away. Consequently, u leave the tap on until there's a leak then turn it off, hence why no leak when I started it up for 5 mins. I thought you'd have to run mower for awhile longer than that until the carburetor couldn't handle the amount of fuel (more than 5 mins).

Is that wrong? Not sure I understand the purpose of the tap.

Sponsored Links
The mower carburettor gets its fuel by gravity from the tank....some engines have a fuel pump but not this one.
There is a valve in the carburettor called a needle valve that prevents fuel entering the carb when the engine is off.
If the needle valve fails, the carburettor fills up with fuel and then overflows - which may be a fire risk.
If your machine is prone to this, a fuel tap in the line makes the machine safe again.....you turn it on to use the machine and when you are finished turn it off again.
However, if your machine is not leaking (after being left overnight for example) a tap isn’t necessary.

Thxs. So I'll see if it leaks in future. Might put the tap on anyhow. Basically turn it off when mowers turned off and on when it's on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back