Leaking loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I flush the toilet I get a few drips of water from the area at the bottom of the cistern. Did a search on here and opinion was the 'doughnut' seal. Tried a B and Q one, which looked similar and it lasted for a couple of hours. Should I change the doughnut again AND the siphon seal, and does this mean a new siphon unit, and should they be assembled dry or with silicone? I tried the latter.

* My local plumber's merchant (Turnbulls) only had one seal in stock, and it didn't look remotely like the old one, hence the B&Q purchase.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Describe your toilet, is it new old, push button?

Is it Ideal Standard?

There are quite a few different sizes but the one you want is a snug fit on the syphon tail and wider than the pan 'inlet' hole.

I know plumbers merchants PTS do a nice one that fits most toilets.

It's seven years old and has a push button on the top of the cistern, which acts directly on the siphon via a threaded plastic rod. Can't see any ID on it. If I lift the top off it it says 'Made in England', which is probably why it's broken...

Was going to take the gubbins out, remove washer and see if any of the merchants can match it up.

Didn't know - and still don't - whether a leak only when it flushes can be the 'doughnut' or siphon seal, or both.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Do you use silicone or assemble dry? And if the former, do you leave it empty for a day or so to harden?

some can be a pain and if you haven't got the exact do-nut they will leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back