Leaking mains stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house seems to be never ending plumbing job at the moment :cry:

I had to turn the mains off yesterday so that I could reseat the toilet after tiling and I noticed that it was leaking just behind the key. I thought that maybe this was because I had left it fully open after I turned it back on last week, so when I turned back on this time I turned it back half a turn but it is still dripping from the small nut just behind the key.

Is there anything that I can do?

If it needs replacing can you get compression joint ones?

thanks

Pat

wishing he'd learnt a trade when he was younger

Sponsored Links
The gland needs repacking.

Turn off your mains and undo the gland nut (the one that is leaking) and lift it up whilst repacking with some rolled ptfe tape.

Pack it down with a small screwdriver and refit and tighten gland nut. :D

turn off your water using the tap in the street (boudary box)

It might well stop if you just tighten the shaft nut a little. Often they undo when the tap is turned. On old stopcocks it always a good idea to loosen the nut, turn the handle, nip up the nut again.

Sponsored Links
Evening all,

I have just a look (not living there at mo) and I did find that the nut was ¾ turn loose, tighten up but the slightest of drips is coming out the back down the key length if that makes sense.

a) Is it easier to replace the component that comes off the tee-piece, it would appear that the tap is made up of: standard compression tee, then a reducer that the nut that holds the key in place bolts into?

b) I thought my mate had a mains key for the stop cock in the street but he hasn't. Are these readily available from plumbers merchants? roughly how much should I expect to pay for one.

the mains inside the house is 15mm in case this makes any difference to advice
stopcock.jpg

[/img]

I'd replace it with a new stopcock, mate! The washer in it is probably hardened or scaley anyway.

got new stopcock !!!

just have to hope that I can get the old olives off, don't fancy reusing old bits .

thanks for advice on tis one.

I'll post when done.

BTW universal stop cock key £10 + VAT :eek:

put your hand down the hole, if its stiff use a wrench. Or make a key from a lengh of wood with an upside down v cut into the bottom.

All done :)

Then pump started making noise :cry:

I'll cover this in a new post

my house is draining my wallet & energy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back