Water mains stopcock under kitchen sink dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've lurked a bit on DIYnot but this my first post- nice to meet you all.

Our water mains stopcock under the kitchen sink is dripping. It's not a big leak (fills up a chinese takeaway tub over the course of one day) but as it's on the mains I'm not keen on it getting any worse. It seems to be leaking out of where the shaft meets the body - there is a nut there. I can still turn off the water ok with the stopcock and the drip stops when it's off. It's not excessively corroded looking (can take a photo), think this drip started after I had to open & close it a few times whilst DIY'ing in the bathroom.

My question is: if I turn it off, can I try tightening the nut or even remove the shaft/head and replace the washer, or do I need to shut off the external mains first? I know where my external mains stopcock is but not keen on that as it's for the entire terrace.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Haha thanks a lot, I thought it would be that simple - tightened it up now and see how it goes.

Anything AFTER the mains stopcock I'm ok with, but on it or before it is scary...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back