Leaking new shower. Grouting must be the problem?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a new shower enclosure installed, all lovely tiled etc. It's leaking from somewhere when the shower is used (eliminating a water supply problem).
I have also proved it is not the silicone seals, with the use of a cut up shpwer curtain hung around the walls, covering the tiles and leaving the joints exposed - No Leaks!!

I found a small crack/hole, which I proved leaked by putting a bottle over, with blu-tak seal, and filling it. The constant "head" of water made it leak in a couple of minutes. This has been "repaired" by the tiler (should have done the whole job myself looking back), but the shower is still leaking.

Anyone got any ideas how to check an 0.8x2m area of grouting to see if there are any "leaky" spots,
&
Has anyone ever heard of porous ceramic tiles (a long shot I know but I cannot see any holes/marks in the grout at all). All the tile glazing seems ok, but can't prove it!!

Anybody any thoughts. I'm going mad with this one!! Please!!

Sponsored Links
All grouts (except epoxy) will pass a certain amount of water. Thats why the advice on here is always to tank wet areas. Read Gcol's sticky.

Also hav eyou checked pipework from the mixer to the shower outlet as this will only leak when the shower is on. Has the enclosure been sealed as per the instructions, a lot of them should NOT be siliconed on the inside.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back