Leaking pipe beneath sink (screw).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first time homeowner here and my first DIY job gone wrong.

I aimed to fix a dripping tap on the kitchen sink and when looking for the water shut-off tap/valve I noticed a hole in the wood which formed the back of the cupboard and this hole made access to a screw on a pipe. Curiosity led me to turn it and water came out in a spurt. I screwed it back and the water stoppedbut now I've noticed that it doesn't stop dripping from there either, though I've triedtightening it.

It's a metal pipe that has two nut-like parts (forgive my descriptions) and this screw-head lies in between the nuts.

Can anyone please suggest what it is and how I stop it from leaking? I've since turned the water off and I haven't kept screwing it until it stops for fear of damaging it or a washer of some sort.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That looks like it, cheers. Going to go and try it now. Should it spin all the way round though as mine does? I would have expected something like that to only allow a quarter turn, like the valve for washing machine access.

Thanks anyway, I'll post back if that works.

It worked instantly. Many thanks! I feel like a bit of an idiot now but when water is flying out I guess you can panic. Anyway, thanks again. If I have any more issues I'll come back. :D

Sponsored Links
Just noticed that the hot tap is not working now (i only checked the cold at the time as I had turned my water supply off). Could this be because I have turned the screw to the upright position? I don't know what this valve is designed to do so again, please excuse my ignorance.

These are isolator valves, that allow you to work on the taps without draining your water down.
The screwdriver slot - if its across the axis (length) of the valve, its off - if its in line with the valve, its on. Only turn them one quarter of a turn.
John :)

Thanks for the reply. If I've turned it vertically then I presume that's the hot pipe. But that was leaking when it's turned. I take it that shouldn't do that so is it broken do you think? (I accept you can't say for sure if you're not there)

Thanks for the reply. If I've turned it vertically then I presume that's the hot pipe. But that was leaking when it's turned. I take it that shouldn't do that so is it broken do you think? (I accept you can't say for sure if you're not there)

yes they can leak from the screw,get it changed when you can

Is the screw head just that? A means to turn a valve. Or does it physically screw out all the way and that's how you replace it?

Basically, do I need an entire isolation valve?

Some of these isolators have a spring beneath the screw....these are the leaky types. However, you may get lucky by turning the screw to and fro a few degrees - without depressing it. This often contains the leak.

The screw will never undo - it just spins round and round.
Check out what you need from the Screwfix catalogue - the complete valve costs next to nowt and are easy to replace. You can also get them with a plastic turn handle.

Sorted it. Put it horizontally and I've got hot water now. If it isn't anything other than pretty much perfectly horizontal or vertical then it leaks. Annoying but at least I know how it works now. Cheers all!

which proves it is knackered, as it is supposed to be closed in that position!

Glad you have it sorted for now but put it on your list of things to do for some time. ie replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back