Leaking pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone put my mind at rest? My son has just purchased (no full structural survey done) a ground floor flat that we have discovered had two pipes leaking under the floorboards. Also basin slight leak and outside tap been leaking in the cupboard right outside backing onto property. These have all been repaired now so am hoping there are no more leaks anywhere. Is there any way to find out? have been told no as we don't have gas central heating system (storage heaters). We have found damage in the lounge floor boards, bedroom and i think the hall is totally ruined. The floor ( concrete ) is damp and it has ruined some of the skirting and the walls where it has risen up them. I have asked the insurance company for a claim form and am waiting for two estimates to come back before i can send it off. Has anyone had any experience of this before and do you think the insurance company will compensate him? He is totally spent out and i am so worried as people say that insurance companies will try to get out of paying if they can. He cannot move into the property as floorboards are up/missing everywhere. :cry:

Sponsored Links
The survey may not have picked up on hidden items like that. Make sure the property is fully ventilated to help with air flow and the drying process. The concrete floor should dry out, joists in the wooden floor should be checked to ensure no rot has occured and replaced if nesessary.
As far as insurance goes he may end up paying a hefty excess before anything will be done, sometimes the excess is more than cost of works.

sorry to hear that :cry: If the flat is on a water meter then you can observe that because any amount of water going into property will move the dial...........also you could hire a large de-humidifier to dry out the flat

As a heating and ventalation engineer I do quite a few reports for insurance claims.

If the leak shows history as you have explained your insurance company will not pay out as your son purchased the property in such a condition.

A pressure test on the relevant pipes will detect a leak. If you are concerned turn the water off at the stopcock if no one is living there until it is tested for integrity.

As the guys here have mentioned keep the place well ventalated and a de humidifier are key.

Sorry to be so negative but insurance companies are there to make money not give charity.
Good luck
Pete

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advise guys! The flat is on a communal insurance as it forms a part of an estate and is just renewed annually for everyone, so do you think it would be covered as such? Is it best to say the leak is new then rather not knowing? As to be honest because the pipes was under laminate flooring there was no way of knowing it had been leaking until we saw water across the doorway. I did have a water meter fitted last week but they are coming out tomorrow as when there is no water running any where in the property the meter moves slightly backwards! Has anyone ever heard of such a thing or do you think it could be another leak? :( How is the system tested for leaks? Many thanks, Diane

Diane
You may be in luck with the block insurance policy, however in my experience alot of these just cover the fabric of the building ie footings walls and roof and do not apply to coverings such as carpet, paper, plaster and paintwork.

If you say the leak just started at least they will do an inspection.
I would have thought the previous owner could even make a claim if it is an old leak.

To do a pressure test is quite easy for a competent plumber, they attach a test guage on each outlet and watch for variations in the pressure indicating movement of water.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back