Leaking plastic pipe connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having an issue with a leak in the area highlighted in red on my central heating system. It was installed 18months ago (from above) and a few days after I noticed a reasonable leak from that connection, got the plumber back in and it seemed sorted. Pulled the kitchen ceiling down to renovate and noticed it has a very slow leak in it. I haven't actually seen water drip from it but it forms between the plastic and if wiped away it reappears.

It seems to me that there is a lot of pressure on that connection due to the bend of the pipe (it also goes slightly below the joists when the ceiling isn't there), is that a correct installation?

I am trying to decide if the issue is something I want to tackle or not. How do I identify what brand those fittings are?

Sponsored Links
They look like JG Speedfit fittings, I think?
For sure, the angle that they are set isn't the best.....they do look strained a little.
Best to remake them, with new pipe if its scored.
John :)

Look like JG to me,couldn't it have been run to the joist to the right and clipped properly to that joist.
Just looks like its asking for trouble like that,could do with re-doing really.

What a mess - it looks like a first DIY job, shame on the "plumber". Plastic pipe has to be clipped and supported just like any other pipework. Your pic pipework could have been arranged in a far more competent manner.

There also might be issues with the copper pipework thats been laid on the bottom "plate" - there are clipping issues there, and quite what the Regs are on the various concealed compression fittings are i dont know?

What does the writing on the pipe say?

Sponsored Links
Look like JG to me, couldn't it have been run to the joist to the right and clipped properly to that joist..
This is what I am wondering and thinking of doing. Just seems a mess to my untrained eye.

What does the writing on the pipe say?
I was assuming JG Speedfit but wanted to be sure. You can see what it says here but it isn't very informative.

There are at least 3 different makes of fittings in the photos, never a good idea to mix inserts fittings on a system.
The one causing the problem is indeed JG Speedfit, with it being on the heating it will be subject to continual expansion and contraction as well as changes in temperature and pressure, this may have contributed to the leak if no or the wrong insert has been fitted.

As already stated the pipe seems to be under strain.

The leak could be down to a number of things but looking at the "quality" of the installation I would drain down the system and remake the joints trying to tidy things up a little. But do check that there is an insert in all of the plastic pipes, by the state of things I wouldn't be surprised if some if not all were missing.

Is it gas c/h was the "plumber" Gas Safe registered :?:

But do check that there is an insert in all of the plastic pipes, by the state of things I wouldn't be surprised if some if not all were missing.

There were inserts in all the plastic pipes I checked. The quality of the cut on the leaking part was pretty bad though. Not sure if that contributed or not. I have hopefully sorted it all now. Just need to decide how long to leave it before I am confident to put the plaster board over it.

Is it gas c/h was the "plumber" Gas Safe registered :?:

I believe I checked the register and he was. Obviously I won't be using him again.

Hopefully you have sorted it.
People think that leaks only occur under pressure. It will show obvious defects, however when the pressure drops and the pipe and fittings become " relaxed" this is when you are most likely to see the small weeps caused by things like dirt under the "O" ring or a score in the pipe.
On the Speedfit fittings, did you twist the collar to lock the fitting?

Hopefully you have sorted it.
People think that leaks only occur under pressure. It will show obvious defects, however when the pressure drops and the pipe and fittings become " relaxed" this is when you are most likely to see the small weeps caused by things like dirt under the "O" ring or a score in the pipe.
On the Speedfit fittings, did you twist the collar to lock the fitting?

I just ran the heating up to temp and now turned it off just to check. I have twisted them all, which wasn't the case with the original work.

Twisting them doesn't give a better seal, just secures them against accidental disconnection.

Twisting them doesn't give a better seal, just secures them against accidental disconnection.

Correct, but it's good practice, and if you look at the photo of the fitting that was leaking, the pipe is under tension and pressing on the release collet. With continual expansion and contraction potentially this could cause the fitting to partially release.

This is why some National Delelopers have instructed their plumbing sub contractors not to use a particular make of Pushfit fitting behind Dot & Dab because it can (and has) demounted itself because it's raised collet can't be locked.

You can buy clips that lock them though.

We do a lot of new build site work, and most of the developers we work for specify Hep2o. But when we work for a Polypipe spec, the developers now instruct us to use Polyfit where visible and Polyplumb behind Dot & Dab.

This is because Polyfit has a raised collet and they have had problems with them Demounting themselves, weeks or months after they have been pressure tested and handed over.

You are correct you can get collet clips to prevent it happening, but how many plumbers do you know that use them, or how many merchants do you know that stock them.

The developers are removing the risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back