leaking radiator-help please.

13 Oct 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
A central heating radiator upstairs has suddenly started to leak. It seems to be at the union junction from the feed onto the radiator. Is it possible to freeze this area, undo the large nut, fit a new olive and then replace the nut. Or must the system be drained down? If I can freeze the area can I buy the product from a DIY outlet? Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
If you have a system with a Feed & Expansion tank in the loft, you can buy a couple of conical rubber bungs from the plumbing counter. With one in the feed pipe at the bottom of the tank, and one in the vent overhanging it, this will prevent much water flowing out provided you close the rad valves and only undo one thing at a time.

Apart from a bit when you first undo the joint, there will be the contents of the rad that will gurgle out slowly, and just a dribble from the pipe. A couiple of bowls and an old towel should cope.

I suspect you will need a new rad valve, buy one and have it to hand when you start.

When you open it, see if much black sludge comes out. If so, schedule a chemical clean and refill with inhibitor.
If the leak is on the radiator side of the valve you DO NOT need to drain down the system. Only the contents of the radiator.
Sponsored Links
ok my thoughts
maybe misunderstanding this :D :D :D

have you tried tightening the joint !!!!

is it an old radiator!!!! are shure its coming from the nut !!could be comming from a rusted hole and dripping off the nut as the lowest point

get it well dryed and feel for the source ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local