Radiator leak help please :P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya all we have got a leak from our radiator but i dont know what the part is called its leaking from.
Basically its on the section on which the temp control is, either on the bit where the pipe from the floor meets a nut or where the nut meets the radiator temp control bit.
sorry if this is too vague can anyone please help as we have no heating as we dont want a plumber bill during news eve/day!

Sponsored Links
How fast is the leak?

Does it stop if you shut the radiator valve completely?

hiya thanx for your reply it is a slow drip down the pipe onto laminant floor, not sure as we have drained central heating system to stop it. didnt thin you could isolate a single radiator?

OK, so now you've drained it, do you have the tools to fix it (and some PTFE tape)?

Sponsored Links
hiya ive got an adjustable spanner and some ptfe tape but dont know which part is broke or how to fix it

Can you post a photo or describe any of the parts where you think it's leaking?

its either on the join between the in pipe and the nut, or the nut and the temp control?

Or from the gland, or from a corroded pipe...

BTW - there's no "join between the pipe and the nut".

OK.

I would remove the valve and remake both joints.

TBH I'd probably replace the valve it's not completely pristine, but I guess you won't have a spare knocking around.

Clean up the wet side of the olive(s), and, if there is one, the face of the union joint to the rad tail. Then wind a few turns of PTFE tape around the wet side of the olive, NOT on any of the threads, and reassemble.

hiya ive not got a spare valve how do i get access to the olive does the temp contorl come off with the valve as a complete unit?
can i use the same olive when i refit or are they one shot only?

how do i get access to the olive
You unscrew the nut.

does the temp contorl come off with the valve as a complete unit?
It's usually easier to remove the head first. Does it have a knurled ring? Or a clamp? Or an obscure clip? Or an allen-header screw?

If you're not sure, then does it have a brand written on it?

can i use the same olive when i refit or are they one shot only?
You can reuse it unless it's damaged, which would be unusual.

hiya ive now stopped it leaking but worried that it may leak again when we go out :(
ive undone nut that holds onto olive and wrapped some ptfe tape on the threads i could see then tightened the nut hard and wrapped some tissue round to check for leaks.
Ive repressurised system and put heating on, is there anything else i can do that would show up the leak if it was still there??

Then wind a few turns of PTFE tape around the wet side of the olive, NOT on any of the threads, and reassemble.
ive undone nut that holds onto olive and wrapped some ptfe tape on the threads i could see then tightened the nut hard
:rolleyes:

Ive repressurised system and put heating on, is there anything else i can do that would show up the leak if it was still there??
Yes - turn the heating off, so that you can see the leaking water before it evaporates.

ive undone nut that holds onto olive and wrapped some ptfe tape on the threads i could see then tightened the nut hard and wrapped some tissue round to check for leaks.

Hey, so he didn't follow your advice. If it's solved the problem then good luck to him :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back