Radiator leak help please :P

Sponsored Links
Don't need to tell you anything, the OP does. Read what I've said Softus. Don't start off 2009 the same as you finished '08. If people choose not to follow your advise to the letter, then, as I said, GOOD LUCK TO THEM. :rolleyes:

Read what I've said
I did. The gist of what you "said" was to wish the OP good luck.

However, luck doesn't come into it. Leaks aren't fixed, or obviated, on a wing and prayer. The point you're missing is that he couldn't possibly have fixed a leak by putting PTFE on the threads. Either you don't understand that, or you're being deliberately obtuse

Sponsored Links
crikey, i didnt mean to cause all this tension, i think it might have been that when i undid the nut i reseated the olive joint aswell and maybe put more torque on the nut, anyhow the leak is currently gone, i have had tissue paper next to the join for 2 days and had heating on and off and there has been no drips.
thanx all for your help hope everyone can be pals again!

i think it might have been that when i undid the nut i reseated the olive joint aswell and maybe put more torque on the nut
I have no doubt that this is what happened, however there are two reasons for putting PTFE tape on the wet side...

1. The tape goes where it will assist in making a seal, instead of where it will interfere with doing up the capnut.

2. In applying the tape you get to check that the olive is onto the pipe as far as it should go, and that's been lightly crimped so that it can never fall off.

And in case you think that olives never fall off, it happened to me the other day on a pressurised system that had been installed by a nameless British gas and heating installation company. I turned the TRV head to raise the temperature, and hot water started geysering out at 2 bar.

well thanx for your help, dont worry i dont think i know best as plumbing is not my strong point so iam just glad its stopped leaking!

Don't worry Nick, there is no tension, as you will soon realise if you refer to this site on a regular basis!! Just 'friendly fire' :)

Glad the leak has abated. Sometimes 'A wing and a prayer' works. ;)

Softus, I am not stupid or slow, just giving you a taste of your own medicine :evil:
you're being deliberately obtuse

Don't worry Nick, there is no tension, as you will soon realise if you refer to this site on a regular basis!! Just 'friendly fire' :)
I completely agree.

Glad the leak has abated. Sometimes 'A wing and a prayer' works. ;)
Oh har de har har.

Softus, I am not stupid or slow, just giving you a taste of your own medicine :evil:
Fair play crockett. No offence either taken or intended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back