Leaking radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey the pressure on the boiler keeps dropping and it therefore stops working (every few days). ive found that two valves on a towel rail downstairs both have small puddles of water below them, i also think it could be leaking where the push-fit flexible connectors meet the copper (going to remove some tiling to reveal this)

My questions are....

1) Does this sound like the culprit to cause the boiler to lose pressure and to turn off?

2) And, is there a way i can isolate the radiator (and its piping) by maybe isolating the radiator before it 'in the chain' so to speak?

Needless to say im a little bit of a newbie to this. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
1) Does this sound like the culprit to cause the boiler to lose pressure and to turn off?

Yes

Is there a way i can isolate the radiator (and its piping) by maybe isolating the radiator before it 'in the chain' so to speak?

No you need to drain down that particular drop before working on it. Look for a drain off below the rads. :D

that was fast! could you explain a bit more? what do i have to look for. basically i want to replace the push fittings with compression ones, and make sure they are bone dry... then connect up the towel rail and make sure thats all sorted too. obviously the two pipes (to and from the radiator) will need to be completely empty. Thanks!

You should have one of these or maybe just the end bit on your pipework below the rad you wish to work on
p1050790_l.jpg

Unscrewing that will empty that drop. What system do you have btw ?

Sponsored Links
Does the radiator look like it's leaking from the nuts on the valves, or does it look like it's coming out of the top of the valve itself (near where you turn it)

If it's coming from the valve itself, the packing gland may just need tightening or re-packing ;)

David.

its leaking from each nut on the valve, i think they need PTFE tape then re-tightening. The valves look a little bit like the one someone posted yeah, so if i undo one and let it drain into buckets or something? is that the way? The system is one where theres a loop to refill the system when the pressure drops. Sorry i cant give more detail!

:confused:

If it's the nuts on the pipe side of the valves (not the radiator connection) Then you'll need to let the pressure off the system using a hose on the easiest drain off.

Once there's no pressure, put some towels down (just to be safe) then wrap some PTFE tape around the olive. Make sure you wrap the tape the same direction that you tighten the nut, otherwise the tape will come off when you put the nut back on.

If it's dripping from the radiator side of the valve, shut both valves on the rad, then empty the water into a bucket. Once it's empty, it'll be easier to put a new olive on, than try to tape the radiator tail. ;)

okay well i think i need to drain everything then remove the whole towel rail. Could you tell me how to connect to a drain off point? step by step just so i dont screw it up! im quite sure i know what you mean, but want to be 100%. Thanks a lot for the help.

No problem...

Switch the boiler off.

Put a hose on the drainoff valve

Open the drainoff so the water comes out. ;) Easy.

As the pressure guage on the boiler displays 0 bar, you'll be able to undo the nuts :)

Once you've taped them, shut the drainoff valve, open the filling loop on the boiler, fill the system to 1.5 bar, then bleed the downstairs radiators followed by the upstairs. keep topping up the pressure until it's full.

Switch the boiler on and job done :D

awsome, thanks for the instructions i'll try that tomorrow. it sounds simple, but im sure i'll find problems! lol. Just one more thing.... is the drain off valve the part sticking out on that photo a few posts above? and also.... can i connect the hose to the radiator closest to the door of my house so its easier? and also, how do i actually make it start to drain?

101 questions i know, but dont wanna cock it up! :D

Yep, that's the drainoff, to start it draining just turn the square bit on the end a bit until the water starts coming out ;)

Connecting to the one near the door's fine too :D

How long should it take to drain? ive started it, and its only really a slight flow, like a half open tap. its been going for about 15mins and not slowing.

:eek:

its leaking from each nut on the valve, i think they need PTFE tape then re-tightening. The valves look a little bit like the one someone posted yeah, so if i undo one and let it drain into buckets or something? is that the way? The system is one where theres a loop to refill the system when the pressure drops. Sorry i cant give more detail!

No need to drain the system, nor to use ptfe tape on a compression joint, all you should have to do is tighten the nuts which are loose.

No need to drain the system, nor to use ptfe tape on a compression joint, all you should have to do is tighten the nuts which are loose.

Yes, but if the olives have been over tightened then they'll need PTFEing ;)

How long should it take to drain? ive started it, and its only really a slight flow, like a half open tap. its been going for about 15mins and not slowing.

:eek:

Try unscrewing it a little more, if that doesn't work, stick a small screwdriver in the end, it may be blocked with sludge :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back