Leaking Ridges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

While in the loft this weekend sorting some stuff out (don't go up there very often) I noticed the rafters on both ridges looked damp and a couple of the battens that comes from them that the tiles hook to where quite soft. The house is a 1930s semi so no felt or backing on the tiles.

I took some pics as below:

(The foil type stuff I have put there just over the loft hatch to stop loads of the crap falling onto it and falling on the landing when opening the hatch)

2ywgupu.jpg

xgcsy0.jpg

Other Corner:

a9pl3k.jpg

Am I right in thinking this could be the ridge tiles need looking and as they seem to be the area of the leak. No where else in the loft was like this, none of the insulation under both areas where wet at all and no signs on any walls in the house either.

What do you think?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
yeah,thats the hip rafter. And the short rafters coming to meet it are the jacks.
you will have to strip the hip tiles and a certain amount of the ordinary tiles surrounding the hips.
becauseits at the bottom of the hip near the wall plate and eaves you might find damage goingall the wayto the eaves .
dig out any rot and spray with fungalrot chemicalls.
you will need to lay a one piecs patch of roof membrane and new tile laths,same section as the old ones.
Reset the field tiles and rebed the hip tiles

the crap thats falling down is torching mortar.
the hangers are prob to support the ceiling joists.couldbe best to use a lay board when you walk up there

Thanks guys. Probably not something I can do myself unfortunately because I'm terrified of heights and just about get heigh enough to wash the downstairs windows!

Is it a big job for a roofer? Scaffolding job or doable on a roof ladder?

Sponsored Links
Expensive job? I'm guessing cost if a few Jack's for the rotten ones, scaffolding and then time, few hours or full day would you say roughly.

Cheers for your help, I will get some quotes, at least I know now what I'm talking about.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back