Leaking roof - advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
A couple of summers ago I had a lot of work done to my main roof (all laths replaced, soffits/fascias/guttering replaced, broken tiles replaced) as a result of an investigation into a very minor leak. It turns out that I managed to hire a cowboy to do the job (plus other work).
That builder is now uncontactable, and I went into the loft today and saw a very minor leak (it is raining quite heavily) - just a few drops, but one of the laths is quite soaked, and I realise I need to do some remedial work pretty sharpish.
I've asked a few friends, but nobody has had any work done to their roof, so don't really have any recommendations. Obviously (due to past experience) I am now very apprehensive, but I've seen a couple of local roofers in the little advert booklet that comes through the mail.
What questions do I need to ask to ensure I'm getting a reliable roofer? Are there any qualifications they need to have, or do they need to be part of a special organisation/institute/assocation that guarantees reliability/integrity/etc....
Any help is much appreciated. I'll try to get some photos up too.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can get a pic up we will try and advise accordingly.

Sourcing a decent contractor can be a bit of a minefield, normally it would be advisable to go on recommendations from family/friends, its not a remit to become a member of a trade organisation to become a roofing contractor.
You should get 2 or 3 quotes and make your decisions from there.

Big fancy adverts does not guarantee a quality job either.

Go to the NFRC website and search for contractors in your area,just put in your postcode.

As a general rule contractors who would sign up for this are genuine (its hassle and costs quite a lot of money to prove your trustworthy)

Get a least two quotes and post them up on here possibly with some photos of where the waters coming in if you can and someone on here should be able to tell you if its a genuine quote or not.

There are plenty of genuine trades out there sounds like you had some bad luck .

Here are some photos, tried uploading them earlier but the site kept crashing, and even now was extremely slow.

View media item 31588 View media item 31593 View media item 31594 View media item 31600 View media item 31601
You can just about make out in the second photo that one of the laths is quite dark brown, because it was quite wet. On the black bit that is hanging down (that has always been hanging down, don't know why??) you can kinda see the tracks made by the water. In the first photo you can just about see a drop of water hanging off that cobweb.
If you need more photos let me know.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry it has taken a while to get some more photos uploaded, but I needed a combination of fair weather, plus daylight, to take the outdoor photos.
Here are the photos:
View media item 31879 View media item 31880The first couple of photos show the valley where my part of the semi detached house joins onto the neighbours (it is in an L-shape). As you can see, some of the cement/mortar has come loose, I've been told probably because the wrong type of mix was used.
View media item 31881 View media item 31882The next two photos are the same valley, but from inside the loft (a zoomed out version of the previous photos I first posted). The black felt is what used to be there, before we had some work done in 2009. I've been told the cowboys did a lazy job because the new breathable felt (white felt) is supposed to be there, and the black stuff was supposed to be completely removed. As it is torn/incomplete in places, this "secondary protection" against leaks in the valley was insufficient, and therefore the very minor leak.
View media item 31883 View media item 31884The next two photos are again from inside the loft, looking up at where two big rafters join into another. A nail has split the wood, and caused a crack, and this needs to be reinforced.
View media item 31885Finally, the last photo is of the front left hand verge gable, where some mortar/cement has come loose, again probably due to the incorrect mix.

For the chimney stack also, the lead flashings have "straightened out" (don't know the technical term) and

I got a couple of quote from local companies listed on the NFRC/Trustmark website, and one company gave a quote without coming inside (they took photos, etc... just from outside) and the other chap spent quite some time inspecting indoors and outdoors.

For the company that came inside, they quoted £450 +VAT for the following: To supply and erect all necessary access equipment. Strip out tiles and fibreglass valley troughs and set to on side for reuse. Insert new 450mm wide strip of felt down valley. Relay fibreglass valley troughs and tiles and bed and point both sides of valley. Fit steel tie strap to top of valley rafter internally and repoint the bottom 450mm of the front left hand verge gable. Clear all debris and leave site clean and tidy on completion.
For the chimney stack also, the lead flashings have "straightened out" (don't know the technical term) and he said he'd put this right at no additional cost.

The other company (didn't see the damaged rafter inside) quoted £380 +VAT for the following: To supply, erect and dismantle access equipment to current H&S standards to enable us to carry out roofing works. To replace where necessary all missing roofing tiles using matching concrete roofing tiles. To securely re-wedge and re-plug where necessary the existing code 003 lead soakers to the abutment and code 004 lead stepped flashings over the soakers, into the chimneystack brickwork. To repoint the brickwork chase to leadwork on chimneystack using a strong mix of sand and cement mortar as necessary. To rake out and repoint where necessary all missing mortar to both sides of existing valley using a strong mix of sand and cement mortar. To carry out localised remedial roofing works to existing lead valley using a meral lined flashbanding and reseal entire valley using an approved fibreglass based membrane. To clear out associated guttering of all existing debris and cart away from site. On completion clear site of all our roofing debris.

So am I getting a good deal with either of these quotes? Anything else I need to be made aware of. I don't want to be taken for a ride again, we spent a LOT of money last time to get a very poor substandard job.
Any help/tips are much appreciated. Thanks

To repoint the brickwork chase to leadwork on chimneystack using a strong mix of sand and cement mortar as necessary. To rake out and repoint where necessary all missing mortar to both sides of existing valley using a strong mix of sand and cement mortar. To carry out localised remedial roofing works to existing lead valley using a meral lined flashbanding and reseal entire valley using an approved fibreglass based membrane. To clear out associated guttering of all existing debris and cart away from site. On completion clear site of all our roofing debris.

I wouldn't let this lot near my roof.

To repoint the brickwork chase to leadwork on chimneystack using a strong mix of sand and cement mortar as necessary.

Its supposed to be lead sealant they use not mortar.

To carry out localised remedial roofing works to existing lead valley using a meral lined flashbanding and reseal entire valley using an approved fibreglass based membrane.

Where is the lead valley? i can only see a grp gutter there, Flashband is a Diyers quick fix.

There is a load of tiles in the valley needs replaced, Thats the worst cut valley i have seen in years...as for the cement work... :eek:

The rain is getting in because:

a) a load of broken tiles
b) the felt underlay which can be a secondary defence, doesn't drain into the valley or gutters as its torn and hanging down.
It's a very shoddy job, which will be difficult to put entirely right without completely re-doing it.

As far as the two quotes are concerned- very dubious, both.

I hope the quotes you listed are not from the NFRC members? This association is normally an excellent source of reputable roofers, but there are just as many competent roofers not in these associations, but may be a bit harder to find if you don't have good contacts already.

Both above quotes are from companies who are members of both NFRC and Trustmark.
I'm also getting another quote from another local NFRC/Trustmark member and another quote from a local company that is a member of Trustmark, FMB and NRWB

This whole thing is definitely a complete mindfield for me, I'm not completely naive to the ways of the world and people trying to rip me off, but on the other hand I don't know any better when they give me quotes, so that's why I'm pinning my hopes (of not wasting more money) on the wonderful people of this forum. Thanks again - I'll post the other quotes when they come through.

I managed to get one more quote, from a local company registered with Trustmark as a FMB Masterbond Member/NRWB member (click link for further info) as follows:

To erect staging platform to the side of the property, next to the valley area
To strip out tiles to valley area and stack ready for re-use
To strip out existing valley liner and old felt
To fix in place required timbers in loft space to help stop roof from further spreading. Timbers to be fixed into party wall and onto chimney breast
To lay new breathable felt down valley area
To fix in place new GRP valley liner
To bed and point back valley tiles
Labour and materials

Total £516 inc VAT

So what do you all think out of these three quotes? I could spend weeks getting quotes from roofers, but I need to crack on and get the work done. Do any of them stand out as being good value for money?
Any advice is very much appreciated
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back