Leaking roof causing joist to rot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just discovered that part of the roof off my semi victorian has been leaking as I found a puddle in the loft. I can't see any holes or even cracks but right above the puddle, the wooden frame has white mould growing and when I touched it the wood was getting crumbly and flaky.

Firstly, is this an emergency and secondly, would you claim it on your insurance?

Sponsored Links
Urgent rather than emergency. But it wont get any better thats for sure.

If you have insurance that covers this eventuallity then its your decision whether its worth making a claim - in terms of overall costs

To be honest i doubt your insurance will cover this as it is a general maintenance issue and has not been caused by a specific incident. They nearly always send out a loss adjuster for leaking roofs and unless the damage has been caused by a falling object or specific storm they almost always won't pay out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back