Leak on a small section of tiled roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got this battle on my hands tomorrow and looking for some advice please. There is a small section of lean-to roof which is approximately 2m wide and 4m long. It is tiled and has two velux windows. The lowest part of this roof (sloping down) is leaking inside. When I cut out the ceiling board, I can feel a puddle of water on the roof membrane but no discernible hole.
I plan to get on the roof tomorrow and inspect the tiles and will also have some roof membrane in anticipation of a repair.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It’s been flawless for a long time. Around 20 years I think

Is it leaking above the window?
How old is the roof? It might be the felt at the first row has gone and water getting in that way

Is it leaking above the window?
How old is the roof? It might be the felt at the first row has gone and water getting in that way
Nothing around the windows. Roof is around 20 years old.

If there is nothing obvious should I cut the end section of membrane (where it’s leaking) and stick a new mebrane?

Is there any chipped / lifted / broken tiles you can see?

you might be able to find it as it will be wet esp with all the rain we’ve had today.

You can just insert some membrane you need to lift the lath off and replace the whole section.

You can just insert some membrane you need to lift the lath off and replace the whole section.
Sorry, to elaborate, I was thinking that I take a couple of tile rows off, remove the batten, cut back the membrane, slide a new section under the existing membrane with a decent overlap, batten and tile again.

Is this the right approach?

Personally I would take back enough to pull the only section out ( membrane is like 1 mtr wide strips pull that out and put a new one in.

but to be clear you shouldn’t really be replying purely on the membrane to keep it water tight. That’s the tiles job.

if it’s at the eaves I would put some eaves protectors in

Which type of cement should I use for the verge please? I will need a small amount for the tiles I will be lifting.

I am hoping I can buy a bag which is pre mixed...

A couple more questions please:
- does the undercloak go below or above the membrane?
- does the eve tray go below or above the membrane?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back