Leaking Roof!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently i have a notice the ceiling is damp, am i write in thinking that because the roof is a really rough textured interlocking tile on a roof thats bout 15 - 25 degree pitch and more than likely no felt underneath the tiles it could be leaking through the tiles. only happens when i pi**es it down thanks

Sponsored Links
Recently i have a notice the ceiling is damp, am i write in thinking that because the roof is a really rough textured interlocking tile on a roof thats bout 15 - 25 degree pitch and more than likely no felt underneath the tiles it could be leaking through the tiles. only happens when i pi**es it down thanks

Not really given a lot to go off there.

Could be broken/loose tiles, a ridge tile may have come off. Is the roof butted up against a wall? If so the lead flashing may have failed.

To give you a better idea of what is wrong you need to check the roof in the area where the ceiling is damp, the easiset way is to get in the loft and take a look, this way you may be able to spot the problem straight away, i.e. hole in roof. If you can't see the problem from the loft you need to get on the roof itself, not reccomended unless you feel comfortable doing it. Or save yourself the bother and get a pro in to do it. :p

can you post a photograph of the roof showing the tiles and with one showing the pitch of the roof in particular?

can you post a photograph of the roof showing the tiles and with one showing the pitch of the roof in particular?

yeah should be able to get a photo no prob, oh and it's like a lean 2 in between to walls so it's only single story no loft

Sponsored Links
A low pitch interlocking tiles roof is more likely to have felt than not. If it has not got felt, then thats the problem, not the pitch or the tiles

The rain should not be getting onto the felt, either no allowance has been made for the low pitch when the roof was tiled or there is another issue - damaged tile, split lead flashing etc..photo will help

Unless a fat bloke has been up the roof and broke all the tile runners - which you may not see from just looking at the tiles

Interlocking tiles can generally be laid on roof pitches as low as 15 degrees but I'd check you have a minimum of 75mm headlap. You should also have a minimum of 300mm overhang at the eaves unless you have clipped or flush eaves? Clipped eaves are not recommended and were generally underlaid with reinforced class 1F felt which disintegrates after a few years. Also check that the verges oversail by 50mm and that the verge fillets don't exceed 35mm. More than 35mm of pointing between the verge tile and the undercloaking is likely to crack and let in water.
Photo's of the roof and roof detailing would be really useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back