Leaking shower mixer - but why??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi when I moved in

There was only a rain shower top bit-

I bought this divertor from eBay to enable me to have a normal small head shower (see yellow)

Lately however no matter how tight I turn shower off - i get a leak from the small head shower - it drips

Is it the eBay valve that’s the problem?
Or the original valve (on - off / hot - cold) that’s the problem?

or do I just need to buy a new shower head does anybody know pls?

Before it used to leak from the loop bottom bend of the hose itself but that’s not happening anymore.

AEF1CCE4-A58C-4D5B-8255-E6E90C38C99D.jpeg

Attachments

• 523E6D36-12D2-4D7F-9EFC-41534217670F.jpeg
    523E6D36-12D2-4D7F-9EFC-41534217670F.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 49
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
These shower heads can hold a lot of water and drip for a long while afterwards. If you take the diverter valve off the top of the shower control with the shower off is the shower control still passing water?

If you still use the rain shower head, then if the diverter is switched to the handset all the water above that's held in the rainshower head and riser will drip out of the hand held until the water in the riser pipe gets to the same height. If the valve isn't passing then it will eventually stop once it gets level.

These shower heads can hold a lot of water and drip for a long while afterwards. If you take the diverter valve off the top of the shower control with the shower off is the shower control still passing water?
Sorry can you please explain this differently I don’t follow?

Let’s say I have valve 1: which I added and lets me switch between rain shower head and normal head

And valve 2: which was already there and turns the whole system on / off and let’s you choose hot / cold

What is it you’d like me to try and do please?

Sponsored Links
If you still use the rain shower head, then if the diverter is switched to the handset all the water above that's held in the rainshower head and riser will drip out of the hand held until the water in the riser pipe gets to the same height. If the valve isn't passing then it will eventually stop once it gets level.
Hi we do not use the rain shower at all.

Just the normal head shower. But even when it’s twisted super tight to turn off - it still drops …. Sometimes hose sometimes small shower head ..

Disconnect valve 1 and see if valve 2 is still letting water by even in the off position.

You could also remove valve 1, then screw your small shower head hose directly into valve 2 and see if that makes a difference. Process of elimination to find the cause.

If it drips constantly ,never stops ,Al day ,all night , your original shower valve is at fault.

I can try if it’s not too hard lol….what exactly needs doing? I see an Alan key type hole maybe can try open and see something?

Hot/cold doesn’t twist on valve 1 original one - actually, Just realised!

Luckily it’s stuck on hot so not an issue!!!

Could this be a factor…

The centre valve assembly needs removed and either stripped and serviced or replaced. It really needs someone that knows what they are looking at.

That then really needs a pro who knows what to look for and gauge whether it can actually be serviced or it needs replaced. Sometime a new valve can be nearly as much as a new shower unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back