Leaking shower tray / cladding - Remove base and reseal behind?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im having to redo my upstairs corner shower as the leak is showing on my downstairs ceiling every few months after removing old silicone and resealing.

The walls are plastic cladding and it cones down the the shower base and there is a gap in some sheets and it requires a lot of silicone to fill.

How can I resolve this?

Would removing it all again and resealing but this time using a piece of plastic’make up’ 1/4 circle quadrant in there as well ?

Or I could use a length of leftover panel going horizontally cornered with silicone to rear and topped piece white L angle PVC ?

Or I could go full out/bigger job and remove the whole cubicle and base and then silicone all the rear edge/ 2 sides of the base that touch the wall.
I think I should of done this when I fitted it??

Or do I do a mixture of above.
I have plenty of panels left over.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Possibly remove the panels and use a tanking kit behind?

How does the staining appear on the ceiling below if it tends to outline the shower base it would indicate that the water is coming from outside the shower not inside. Essential to establish the cause of the leak before you try and fix it

How does the staining appear on the ceiling below if it tends to outline the shower base it would indicate that the water is coming from outside the shower not inside. Essential to establish the cause of the leak before you try and fix it

It’s between the shower base and cladding.
2 sides in a corner shower.
There’s a slight gap where the panels meet the base which when I remove the silicone and re silicone it’s fine for a few months.
Then the seal breaks and I have to keep redoing it???

Literally 2 lengths of silicone 70c long.
Everything else is fine.
No leaks.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much just a blob under where the shower is.
It is a raised shower and I can actually see the water passing between the base cladding on each side ad I keep repeating.
The waste is fine.
It just what I keep repeating.

I’ve found a video by ultimate Handyman on YouTube and he fits a piece of 17.5mm quadrant to resolve the issue that I have.
There being a GAP between cladding and base.

But I thought I would ask in here if it would be better to fit a length of cladding each side horizontal ad then it would touch the base fully and remove the gap.

Cheers.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back