Leaking showerhead despite attempted remedies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A showerhead leaks from the threaded hose connection. I have tried replacing the original rubber washer with the same and a fibre version but all to no avail. The leak persists. Anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be? The showerhead is one of those cheapish looking chrome plastic jobs. Any advice appreciated. ;)

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the threaded tail on the handset is a little too short for the hose connector, so the washer doesn't get compressed enough to seal. Try an extra thick washer, or fitting two washers.

Fibre washers are generally a little too hard to take up with the limited torque you can apply to a plastic fitting

Plastic threads can be easy to cross-thread, and difficult to re-assemble correctly once that has happened.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I did notice that the handset tail seemed rather short. I did try fitting an extra washer but it was not successful. My washer-kit does seem to have rather thin items, though, perhaps I will try to obtain something a bit chunkier. I don’t think the handset is cross-threaded but good point. Cheers. ;)

Good ideas, PTB. I'll try those suggestions, even replacement if the other two fail. Cheers. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back