Leaking stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any fix for a leaking stopcock. It would appear that there should be a seal on the shaft which probably goes hard, because once you have turned the water off it always leaks when you turn it back on and you have to fuss around getting the tap in the right position so it makes a seal. It is the brass type so apart from having to replace it all the time is there a fix. Now this posting has come up I see that someone recommended that you can undo the gland nut and pack it with PFT tape but where do you use the PFT on the shaft or the thread. Is there FAQ section ont his site somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Get PTFE. Undo little nut at the base of the shaft.

tear off 3" of tape. Twist into sausage.

Wrap around shaft under the not loose nut.

Tighten nut so you can still move the handle.

Put kettle on.

My main stopcock was leaking from the gland. I tried to repack the gland several times with PTFE tape but it still leaked.

Then I used LOCTITE 55 PIPE SEALING CORD. This was easy to use (dont use too much) and worked perfectly. It is used in exactly the same way as PTFE tape.

Sponsored Links
Managed to pack the gland with PFT whilst catching leaking water because didn't have a mains key to with a square end to turn water off, and it seems to have done the trick. I did manage to get a new valve from the boot sale for £1 so when it goes again I will borrow a key and change it, but the tip for the PFT was great , Thanks all.

Job Done, good old DIY Site

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back