Leaking Thermostatic Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Vaillant Combi system has been losing pressure over the past two weeks to the extent that I have had to add water on four occasions to bring the system up to 1bar plus to get the boiler to fire. I have now found a leak on the thermostatic valve of a small upstairs radiator. On turning the valve to zero the leak stops, but fully open the leak starts. If I set the valve to 3 (out of 5) the leak reduces in intensity.

On the basis of my brief explanation, does it sound as though I could correct the problem by taking the shield cover off the valve and attempt to tighten some part of the valve ? Or does it suggest the thermostatic valve is failing and needs replacing (It is over 10 years old) ?

I should appreciate any suggestions

Sponsored Links
Go for a replacement TRV mate - with a combi the draining down is minimal. Go for a like for like one and you won't have to change the rad tail either.
Consider a dose of inhibitor at the same time - Fernox F1 is easy to inject in when the rad is dry.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back