Leaking toilet glued to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has already been discussed - I searched for ages and couldn't find anything on it.

I'm having two bathrooms re-tiled. The plumber re-fitted the toilet using the existing water and waste pipes, but instead of bolting it to the floor has simply glued the cistern to the new tiles on the wall using silicon sealant. The pedestal sink is also glued to the wall in the same manner. There are no bolts anywhere.

The waste pipe is now leaking but I don't know how he's going to fix this when the toilet is glued to the wall and won't be able to be removed without breaking all the tiles.

Is it normal to use silicon sealant to glue things to the wall rather than bolt it? Is it safe?

I haven't paid the guy yet because the second bathroom isn't finished, so if anyone could offer any advice on his style before I do pay then that would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Tom.

Sponsored Links
in a word....NO.

what cowboy is doing that? it is potentially dangerous. Imagine if someone had filled the sink full of 60 degree hot water and it was to fall off the wall and pour all over a toddler or baby as well as the sink itself hitting them

in a word....NO.

what cowboy is doing that? it is potentially dangerous. Imagine if someone had filled the sink full of 60 degree hot water and it was to fall off the wall and pour all over a toddler or baby as well as the sink itself hitting them

have you ever tried to remove a sink or toilet siliconed to the wall/floor?

didnt think so.

No. This is not correct. Basin should be fitted with screws or bolts to wall.
As for the cistern, sometime a silicone can be use if there no holes for screws to fit to wall, a 10p size blob of silicone will be enough at top left and right.

As for the leaking waste, cut silicone with a hacksaw blade and take out toilet, renew pan connector, then refix.

Dan.

Sponsored Links
To be fair the sink was originally attached to the wall with both bolts and some kind of adhesive and it was a bit of a job to get it off the wall, but I don't know if that was adhesive or silicon sealant.

I had no idea you could use bath sealant as glue - is it strong?

in a word....NO.

have you ever tried to remove a sink or toilet siliconed to the wall/floor?

didnt think so.

I have yes, but there has always been screws that needed to be removed as well as no more nails/sealer. It may work with just sealer, but for how long, and would you do it?

No. This is not correct. Basin should be fitted with screws or bolts to wall.
As for the cistern, sometime a silicone can be use if there no holes for screws to fit to wall, a 10p size blob of silicone will be enough at top left and right.

As for the leaking waste, cut silicone with a hacksaw blade and take out toilet, renew pan connector, then refix.

Dan.

Thanks Dan, and to the others for the replies.

Sounds like I need to get some bolts in there and replace the rubber waste connector while I'm at it. Or rather while the plumber is at it...

Cheers guys.
Tom

my toilet cistern was screwed to the wall, but the old man who lived here before had tried to seal the huge gap with silicone sealer and no more nails. when it came to replacing the syphon the cistern stayed on the wall with just the sealer holding it on, but a couple of firm tugs and it was off. Children notoriously grab onto sinks when they are too small to reach properly and try to climb up. I wouldnt want my sink or anybody elses to be just siliconed to the wall. Its cheap, nasty and stinks of a cowboy.

Hi guys,

The waste pipe is now leaking but I don't know how he's going to fix this when the toilet is glued to the wall and won't be able to be removed without breaking all the tiles.

If he caused the leak, isnt that his problem?

The guy (hesitate to use the word "trades person" or "professional") we used to fit new kitchen worktops used silicon to glue the dropdown that the dishwasher uses for support - the dishwasher top frame screwed into this wooden mount, with the wooden mount itself siliconed to the bottom of the worktop.

It only took a bit of weight on the dishwasher door and the dishwasher up-ended and would have landed on my foot but narrowly missed.

I can't believe anyone would consider mounting a sink or toilet to a wall with silicon - thats outrageous. As already said, what about a poor child standing underneath it, trying to reach something?

Cowboys make me so ****ed off.

The saga continues...

Good news - the plumber repaired the leaking waste from the aforementioned toilet which is glued to the wall.

Bad news - last night I heard dripping water and discovered a crack up the back of the cistern. I assume it got cracked when he pulled it from the wall in the first place because it was glued in when originally fitted.

I'm not going to attempt to repair this, so do you have any tips on how to find a replacement cistern? It's Villeroy and Boch but I don't know the model.

Also...should I be shelling out for this or should he?

in a word....NO.

the child is more likely to be injured by shards of tile!!!!!!!!!!!
seriously have you ever attempted to remove a whb stuck to the wall with silicone? if it is a ped and whb i would havve no qualms about removing the ped and let the basin hang on the silicone while i fixed the leak at the waste, to the OP if you can get the ped out from under the basin sit it at the side suppoerting the basin while the leak is done, if you want to remove the basin from the wall you will need to cut through the silicone (good luck with that one) best way to do it is to use a hacksaw blade, wrap the end in tape as it will snag and cut your fingers, (ONLY IDIOTS CUT THEIR FINGERS WHILE WORKING ON SINKS) also you need to be very careful not to mark the tiles above the basin

the child is more likely to be injured by shards of tile!!!!!!!!!!!
seriously have you ever attempted to remove a whb stuck to the wall with silicone? if it is a ped and whb i would havve no qualms about removing the ped and let the basin hang on the silicone while i fixed the leak at the waste, to the OP if you can get the ped out from under the basin sit it at the side suppoerting the basin while the leak is done, if you want to remove the basin from the wall you will need to cut through the silicone (good luck with that one) best way to do it is to use a hacksaw blade, wrap the end in tape as it will snag and cut your fingers, (ONLY IDIOTS CUT THEIR FINGERS WHILE WORKING ON SINKS) also you need to be very careful not to mark the tiles above the basin

Thanks kirkgas. We'll get some practice removing a toilet in this way I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back