Leaking toilet soil pipe when going into internal wall :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Been in our house for about 10 years and noticed a damp patch on the wall in our utility room which is directly underneath the bathroom. Took some of the wet ceiling board off and had a look up. The source of the leak is the soil pipe (not sure if right terminology) which then has a small pipe which goes into the internal wall. The leak stops when the water supply to the toilet is turned off, then starts again when the supply is reinstated. As per the picture the pipe leading into the wall comes out by a couple of mm but I've no idea if this is something I can fix myself. Any thoughts gratefully received.
1715621458584.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks, Tincup - I did check that kink and no water looks to be coming from it- will have another look though.

Sponsored Links
I agree, unless toilet is passing water, then it’s not the toilet when you turn off.

How are you turning the water supply to the toilet off? Is the bowl still full when the leak stops? If so, it's not your soil pipe
Hi Trojanhawrs- I'm turning the water supply off by turning off via the flexible hose in the bathroom itself. And, correct- the toilet bowl is still full, water turned off, and the leaking stops. What could it be if not the soil pipe? Cheers

Leaking joint where the fitting goes into the bottom of the fill valve and running downwards. Very common leak.

New brass shank fill valve with new fibre washer is needed, at a guess.

Andy
I wondered that, but couldn’t see it wet on the timber above.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. I've checked the flush valve and reseated it. No signs of corrosion etc on the flapper bit. No leak from brass valve/ washer. Put food dye in toilet water tank and no leakage to bowl. Looking again at the small pipe going into the "wood wall" in the picture above, definite drops of water there on the bottom side of the pipe, and the 2 flexible pipes above are both dry.

Follow up potentially daft question...when the smaller pipe goes into the wall- does the pipe itself continue or i'm guessing there's a further connection to the pipe that's in the wall? Is there anything I can apply to the bottom of the small pipe as it meets the wall, if not how the heck do I get to it?? Could it be as simple as a leak in this joint, not sure if that explains why the leak stops when the local supply to the toilet is switched off?

What a rabbithole lol.

Thanks!

Even turning the water off to the toilet in the bathroom shouldn't stop that cold water supply pipe from leaking, if that's where it's coming from, as that would still be under pressure unless the mains was turned off.

The flexible pipe you are turning off, does that connect up into the bottom of the toilet cistern and then the leak stops? As suggested, that lower gray supply pipe does look damaged. The black soil pipe section on the left is a blank boss so it shouldn't be leaking there, unless it's been cored at some point and then blanked off and that's what's leaking.

The OSB3 to the left of that boss connector is that a webbed I joist? If so you may need to open that section up from above unfortunately.

Post pictures of all pipework between isolation valve and cistern.
Thanks, three pics as follows- the first shows the feed pipe going up through the floor which is linked to the isolation vale in pic 3. Pic 2 shows the top grey pipe being the pipe which leads from the isolation valve to underneath the floor. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1715686839246.jpg
    1715686839246.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 1715686839268.jpg
    1715686839268.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 1715686839286.jpg
    1715686839286.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 43

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back