Leaking towel radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My boiler keeps on losing pressure so I found out that the towel rail valve is leaking. Does anyone know if this can be replaced? The leak is on the left side dial. There is a dial on the right side as well. Is one of the dials a trv?.
Pics attached. Any help greatly appreciated.
15518141686545337603251061439429.jpg
15518143397532812185984609577734.jpg
15518143857154961263365000394467.jpg

Sponsored Links
No TRV’s there, Im afraid.....one is the off/on valve and the other is the lockshield - although they are exactly the same.
If you can give us a pic with one of the square tops removed, we’ll be able to tell if they can be tightened and sealed, or need to be replaced.
John :)

They look like those stupid 1/4 turn towel rad valves, they're notorious for leaking. Get a couple of normal screw down straight chrome valves fitted. Or a chrome TRV if you wanted one.

Them pipes could do with some paint too methinks :whistle:

No TRV’s there, Im afraid.....one is the off/on valve and the other is the lockshield - although they are exactly the same.
If you can give us a pic with one of the square tops removed, we’ll be able to tell if they can be tightened and sealed, or need to be replaced.
Hi. Thanks for your help.
Got the central heating on at the moment. Will take the cap off and send some pictures tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I took the cap off and water stating gushing out. Pic with the cap off attached. There were little bits inside the cap which im not sure what order it goes in.
IMG_20190306_163926.jpg
IMG_20190306_163953.jpg

Get some proper straight valves, those towel rads valves are so bad

Oops :eek: ... valve's fecked .... (n) time for new valves. You either pop a wee cap off the top to get to the grub screw below or pull it straight off the top of the tap, you've actually removed the valve from the rad.
Yup 1/4 turn ceramic, they're designed for hot water not CH so the seals eventually go with the heat.

get a set of these ....
images

Edited for some really atrocious grammer o_O

Last edited:
Screw it back in....it’ll stop the leak but you wont be able to turn it off.
P.S I didnt mean you to remove the whole insert....apologies if I incorrectly advised you!

They are awful valves,seen so many leaking. The towel rail could also be of the same quality (n)

Changed many of them valves,they are often shorter than quality named replacement valves. in your case the towel rail could be moved up rather than alter the pipes.

Changing the towel rail aswell would also be a very good idea :idea:

Hi
I took the cap off and water stating gushing out.

P.S I didnt mean you to remove the whole insert....apologies if I incorrectly advised you!

Well this made my journey to work a lot more bearable this morning picturing this - probably found it more funny than I should have :LOL:

Hope the water didn’t damage anything , but why did you think it wouldn’t be OK to remove the entire valve without a flood! o_O

Hope the water didn’t damage anything , but why did you think it wouldn’t be OK to remove the entire valve without a flood! o_O
it looks like Ali Ahmed installation has been p iss ing out water for many years,the remainder of the installation could also be needing attention :idea: now the expansion vessel will be in need checking. The system could be holding just enough water pressure to operate the boiler. So opening a live part or the system in a tiled bathroom floor could just release a couple pints of water under very low water pressure.

So very low risk of flooding,its all about risk :cautious: and experience.

Ali Ahmed,thanks for posting the dismantled valve photo #5. Hopefully others wanting to purchase them valves will have a Think :mrgreen:

happy plumbing (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back