Leaking towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My towel rail leaks around once a year very slowly but a slight turn seems to sort it. It was fitted (professionally) about 5 years ago.

However, this morning it was slowly pouring out intermittently. Fully closing or opening it doesn't help it but setting it to roughly half way seems to slow it down to a few drops a minute. It may also be due to the pressure not being as high as I haven't topped it up yet.

It's located upstairs in the bathroom of a 2 storey house.

Does this look like a simple fix? Any help would be great.

The leak seems to be originating from the screw on the very right hand side of the pictures.

Attachments

• IMAG1186.jpg
    IMAG1186.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 509
  • IMAG1185.jpg
    IMAG1185.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,052
Sponsored Links
Whereabouts is the leak coming from? Is it the body of the radiator valve, pipework connecting tails to valve or tail connecting valve to radiator?

If it is either pipework tail or radiator tail, PTFE tape maybe the product you require to prevent this leak. If rad valve then that would be best replaced. It could also be a misaligned olive on the pipework, if so that would need replacing also.

Thanks for the response. It was initially coming from the valve at the very right hand side (the valve that's supposed to turn) but I've just noticed it's now leaking from the large nut at the very top closest to the radiator itself. Probably due to me mucking about with it since the initial leak

Initially, your leak seems to have come from the gland nut (smaller hexagon near to the spline, RH pic).
Try tightening it a bit.
If there's a leak at the large hexagon, that's the valve insert and there's a fibre washer between that and the rad.....that's best left alone.
As with most rad valves.....best left unturned! Maybe a TRV would suit you better.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks burner man. The large hexagon was loose. I could move it with my hand. I've hand tightened it and it seems to have stopped from there. Sorry, what's TRV?

It's a Thermostatic Radiator Valve......senses air temperature around the rad, and opens and closes automatically to whatever temperature you have set.
Very unusual for the big nut to be slack! Is everything ok now?

Yes and no. No leak from either valve just now but if I touch the small one at the right it will start dripping again. At least it's controllable. I'll try tighten it tomorrow. If that doesn't work do you reckon I could slacken it and fit tape inside to seal it? Or do I need to drain the radiator?

You can undo the smaller hexagon near to the spline and wind some ptfe tape in clockwise......this will sort you for a while and there's no need to drain down. Pack as much tape in as you can.

If its still giving you bother after you've done that let me know and I'll try swing by one night and replace the valve if it needs it. (Your boiler cover not cover rads and valves?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back