Leaking Valve in Airing Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See the valve circled in blue.

I am not sure what this valve is and which way it should be. This is the one which is going in to hot water tank and the other end is joining the pipe between pump and divertor valve.

Its leaking since I turned it in an attempt to fix my other CH issue. Now its turned clockwise full and is leaking drops of water. The danger is that the leak is right above wiring cabinet. I am thinking I should have never touched this valve. Is there some sort of sealant I can use. Which way should it be turned ?

many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
It allows water to be pumped back to the boiler creating a loop. Stops the boiler from overheating, some old systems have a by-pass radiator what does a similar job.

When replacing that gate valve set the new one a few turns open, not fully or your heating will suffer. Water likes to take the route of least resistance, you'd rather it goes to the rads and not around the by-pass.

On a note, have you tightened the gland nut on that valve, I can see it's covered in tape but a nip up might stop the drip :)

Sponsored Links
It allows water to be pumped back to the boiler creating a loop. Stops the boiler from overheating, some old systems have a by-pass radiator what does a similar job.

When replacing that gate valve set the new one a few turns open, not fully or your heating will suffer. Water likes to take the route of least resistance, you'd rather it goes to the rads and not around the by-pass.

On a note, have you tightened the gland nut on that valve, I can see it's covered in tape but a nip up might stop the drip :)

Tom, much thanks, I have just figured out what you meant by gland nut and I have tightened it a bit, it did seem a bit on the loose side and turned easily for about 3/4 of the way. Feels all tight now.

The valve is set full clock wise, shall I leave it like that ?

Fully Clockwise is closed. Open it up 1 complete and 3/4 turn anti-clockwise.

If it weeps again just nip the nut up again, it's a pretty common thing for a gate valve to do. Same applies to radiator valves :)

Fully Clockwise is closed. Open it up 1 complete and 3/4 turn anti-clockwise.

If it weeps again just nip the nut up again, it's a pretty common thing for a gate valve to do. Same applies to radiator valves :)

oohh dear, what would have happened had I left the valve closed for long. Could this be the reason that Grundfos pump is making a loud noise.

You have Y-Plan System (thats a valve with a flow in, but two outlets, on to the cylinder and one to the radiators).

Closing the by-pass on a y-plan system will cause you little issue, theres a likely hood you have a radiator without a Thermostatic Radiator valve fitted, normally in a hallway or bathroom. This will allow water to flow even if the Thermostatic radiator valves have closed off automatically. Don't worry if you don't have TRV's, at least one radiator will be fully open somewhere in the house.

You have Y-Plan System (thats a valve with a flow in, but two outlets, on to the cylinder and one to the radiators).

Closing the by-pass on a y-plan system will cause you little issue, theres a likely hood you have a radiator without a Thermostatic Radiator valve fitted, normally in a hallway or bathroom. This will allow water to flow even if the Thermostatic radiator valves have closed off automatically. Don't worry if you don't have TRV's, at least one radiator will be fully open somewhere in the house.

life saver mate, thanks. I do have a thermostat thing in the hallway. All radiators just look bog standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back