Leaking water inlet valve after 5 washers!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cistern hasn't been flushing properly for ages & actually stopped altogether so, after reading loads of info on here decided to do it myself and try to save a little money.

I successfully drained, & replaced the syphon, donut washer etc, and put cistern back together (close coupling)

My problems then started & having spent the last 4 hours, have given up!!

Basically, when I attach the water inlet pipe to the valve, as soon as I turned the water back on, it started leaking from the valve. (the top of the nut)

I then popped down to my local plumbers, taking old washer with me & was given 5 possible replacements!

Anyway, have tried all 5 & have even tried putting the old one back on & it's still leaking!

Can anyone (I appreciate it's difficult without seeing it) please tell me what I am doing wrong??

Sponsored Links
Usually a new washer will sort this problem. Its obviously not sealing correctly. Maybe the plastic tail with the thread has cracked.

Andy.

Hi,

Do you mean the new plastic inlet pipe?

It certainly doesn't look damaged - I've also tried with & without PTFE

Hi

Is the fibre or rubber washer present?
Is the pipe and the inlet valve in line?
Sometimes the thread can get chewed up by over tightening. I would do it up hand tight and then quarter of a turn with spanner max.

HTH

Sponsored Links
p1081010_l.jpg

Use one of these. A hole in one. :D

You could try a flat file on the plastic tail to get a smooth surface for the washer to seal against.

Andy.

Hi, the only washer present is the rubber ones replacing the previous rubber one.
I've checked & the pipe & inlet do appear to be in-line
I possibly may have over-tightened? I can't do any more this evening & back to work myself tomorrow but will try again tomorrow night & let you know Thanks

It can be a number of things, and really hard to say what it is from a distance. To save yourself a lot of agro, simply get a new filler, ( make sure it is suitable and silent ) and flexible connector ( pushfit is probably best if you are not star at plumbing).
Stick the new filler in, cut the pipe to size, DE-BURR !!! and smooth the whole lot and put the flexible connector on.

OK, so have finally managed to fix the drip :D
But, I keep having a look just to make sure, and I have noticed that there is an incredible amount of condensation on the cistern, so much in fact, that it is slowly dripping onto the floor!

I am assuming that this is due to the whole cistern being filled by very cold water and that it should sort itself out in time?

The toilet is in a very small cloakroom and is not used very often, the door to the cloakroom is normally left open

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back