Leaking water supply pipe to toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have got a leak coming from the white plastic threaded part at the top of the picture, where it joins the grey connector under the toilet. (see photo) Do I need to remove the grey connector and replace a washer or do I need a new connector? Also, what is this connector? I have looked online and cannot see anything similar. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 274
Sponsored Links
The grey connector is good the white plastic part of the fill valve is rubbish - just get a fluidmaster fill valve with a brass "tail " and replace the placcy thing.

Two likely possibilities:

1. The leak is from where you think it is.

I would try, in order, a) Tightening the grey nut onto the white threaded pipe. b) Removing the grey nut, replacing the washer inside with a new one, possibly red fibre 1/2", possibly black rubber 1/2". c)Replacing fill valve as Nige F suggests, and preferably losing the grey nut in place of a soldered tap connector on a slightly longer bit of 15mm pipe to the isolation valve.

2. The leak is actually from between the white nut and the base of the cistern, but is dribbling down onto the threads and making it look like 1.

Check that the base of the cistern all around the white nut is bone dry. If not, hold cistern inlet valve internals and tighten white nut. If that doesn't work, back to 1c) above.

should they be hand tightened or is a spanner needed. Its hard to know which do & dont but I know that on some you can tighten they too much the washer disintigrates. Those in the know on here will be able to advise.

Sponsored Links
should they be hand tightened or is a spanner needed. Its hard to know which do & dont but I know that on some you can tighten they too much the washer disintigrates. Those in the know on here will be able to advise.
Hello ian....... Welcome as a new Diynot member. Don't worry about replying to old posts, easy mistake when new here;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back