Leaking window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a window installed a year or so ago.

It's clearly leaking left and right side.

The original installer has visited a second time and put more sealant on to no effect.

I've climbed up to look and it all looks well sealed each side. However the window is clearly at an angle sloping inward from the bottom.

So it seems to me water will run down the window and therefore the interface where the sealant brick meet and I'd guess the brick is porus enough to let water through. Could that be the explanation?

Here's a rough diagram blue indicates damp, small amounts of water also ends up on the sill itself so it's certainly letting water in:

http://i62.tinypic.com/21l4vn7.jpg

The pointing is shot - it's possible some water could be coming from that, but there's no doubt the window is letting water in.

The water coming in seems to be fanning out improbably widely. Is that normal?

Any comments?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Is there a bead of sealant between the window sill and the brickwork / sill?
I'd certainly make good the pointing around the window if you can, but theoretically any ingress should be taken care of by the wall cavity, if you have one.
John :)

Is there a bead of sealant between the window sill and the brickwork / sill?
I'd certainly make good the pointing around the window if you can, but theoretically any ingress should be taken care of by the wall cavity, if you have one.

Thanks for your comment. Externally, yes, there's a bead under the cill. If that's what you mean?

Yep, thats correct....ideally the water should run down the glass, onto the window sill and then be cast clear of the brickwork....the sill should have a drip bead so the water can't run back underneath the sill.
Does water appear to be soaking into the brickwork there?

Sponsored Links
Yep, thats correct....ideally the water should run down the glass, onto the window sill and then be cast clear of the brickwork....the sill should have a drip bead so the water can't run back underneath the sill.
Does water appear to be soaking into the brickwork there?

Not really, the sill has a good slope on it and I can't see any evidence of damp outside. Mind you, the wind today blew the outside of the house dry in no time.

It is possible that the ends of the cill haven't been sealed, It still amazes me how many fitters don't seal them correctly.

150-cill-600x600_zps21d75a5d.jpg

If the ends of the cill hasn't been sealed in the green area then any water that is blown up under the window will make its way to the ends of the cill and into your cavity.
Depending on how far back into the reveal your window is set the cill and water could be in direct contact with the internal block/plaster.

Can you show some pics inside and out of the window?

Thanks Gazman.

Some images here, mostly self explanatory but:

http://tinypic.com/a/34h86/1

- The vertical pointing looks more or less missing above the window.
- Even when there was no rain you can see drops at the top of the window (the one taken upwards from inside the house.) Wonder if that's draining out of the brickwork.

I looked at an identical house nearby.

Interestingly they have a slightly different arrangement. Hard to say if it's different from new or modified more revently. Either way it has lead flashing directly above the window and different brickwork. Presumably the flashing is to direct water coming from above the window out. Makes me wonder if that house has had the same problem perhaps the concrete lintel funneling water in? Will ask when I see him but the house has changed hands a fair bit so I doubt he'll know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back