Leaky Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Our bath leaks when someone has a bath (not while its draining away) water leaks through the kitchen ceiling.

It seems to have been very badly plumbed in (it was like that when we bought the house) Here's a pic:

IMG_2484.jpg

It looks like the water is leaking around the plug hole but what I don't understand is that the actual fibre glass or whatever it is seems wet to touch on it's lower half.

Is it possible that there are minute cracks letting water out everywhere? It doesn't look cracked at all, but it is very old I think.

Also, I wondered if I should try to replace the whole overflow to plug hole section up to and including the white U bend.

How tricky a job is this? Do you just screw all the bits in then seal it with silicon?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you unscrew the drain out of the bath. There will be a washer that seals between the bottom of the bath and the drain. Most likely this is split or
not sealing correctly. Easy to replace.

a wipe of sealant around the underside of the top flange when you put the waste fitting back in the tub won't go amiss either. similar with the overflow fitting. Check the flexible pipe between overflow and waste is secure, without any splits or cracks.

Ok thanks for the tips guys.

I'm a bit worried about the damp underside of the bath itself though.

I doubt it's possible but is there any way water is leaking through the bath itself? Or is it just condensation or something?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Its unlikely, but possible. I doubt it would have started on an old bath as it would likely be a manufacturing defect:

Chances are it is just a build up. Sort the leak and monitor over a few days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back