Leaky chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

During heavy rain water is entering our roof around the chimney. It's a 1911 mid-terrace. We are calling roofers but I thought it might be worth posting some pictures here so we go in armed with a little information, or at least ideas. I would be really grateful if anyone could cast their eye over these pictures and let us know if anything seems obviously wrong (apart from the water :LOL:).

My eye is drawn to the tiles around the edge of the chimney sticking up a bit, and that really low gas cowel. But of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about! Any observations at all from people who do know would be very much appreciated (y)

Attachments

• chimney_external.jpg
    chimney_external.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 115
  • gas_cowel.jpg
    gas_cowel.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 110
  • roof_internal.jpg
    roof_internal.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
Jamie McLaughlin, good evening.

Several things to "discuss" with your roofer?

Chimney head has been historically "pointed" here and there, at the top level there is a fair bit of mortar missing? on the short side nearest the camera.
not really sure of what is going on with the top of the stack, have some bricks fallen off, especially on the far end [from the camera??]

The lead around the stack needs attention, the wrap around on the right hand side appears loose? for starters.
Soakers are in place, but there does not appear to be anything else, meaning a small valley lead gutter, might be there but not easy to spot.

As for the gas flue terminal?? where to start? the vent appears to be iinside a depression in the flaunching on the top of the stack? indications of loads of moss Etc. around the flue terminal?
Cannot understand the vertical "things" on the same image?

Is the water entering the loft around the chimney where it passes through the roof?

Ken.

Ken, thanks ever so much for your time and some good stuff I hadn't spotted.

The exact point of the ingress is difficult to determine. The loft has been converted and I cannot access the top part of the roofspace. I am thinking about removing some plasterboard to get a proper look. From what I can see, water is getting in either around the chimney, through the chimney structure, or through the tiles around the chimney. It's not possible to narrow it down further without making a hole in the ceiling of the loft conversion where the first damp patch is. That bit of ceiling is flush with the left hand side of the chimney stack as the camera faces in my external photo above. But there are further patches developing down studwork atop a wall which is not actually directly touching the chimney. So it's travelling, or there is another leak.

I should have said that the right hand side of the chimney is our neighbour's so I'm not able to do anything about that. I can see that leading is a mess. I was really interested if mine was wrong! Sounds like it might be, but inconclusive. The state of the top of the chimney is as you say terrible. I think I will get the pots and gas flue removed (none of it is used) and re-flaunch my side no matter what I do. Seems sensible to get the leading re-done too. But what I don't want is to get all that done and still have a leak!

Attachments

• damp_ceiling.jpg
    damp_ceiling.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 95
  • damp_wall.jpg
    damp_wall.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 102

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back